Google Maps: hide forever the "Improve accuracy by turning on WI-FI" popup

mirko77

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi everybody,

on the latest Google Maps app, when tapping the button to find your current location while on 3G or 4G network, there is always a popup appearing asking me if I want to turn on wifi to improve the location accuracy. I can dismiss it, but next time I open Maps it will appear again.

Screenshot_2014-08-17-19-41-24.jpg

How can I dismiss it for good?

Thanks

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi everybody,

on the latest Google Maps app, when tapping the button to find your current location while on 3G or 4G network, there is always a popup appearing asking me if I want to turn on wifi to improve the location accuracy. I can dismiss it, but next time I open Maps it will appear again.

View attachment 132587

How can I dismiss it for good?

Thanks
Go into Settings > Location. Make sure location is set to "On" and the Mode "High Accuracy". You may have that disabled, so it's trying to pinpoint your location by using an alternate means, such as through Wi-Fi.

Let us know how that works for you.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The "High Accuracy" setting will work, but it also consumes more battery life. If you use Maps a lot, then it might make sense to leave it on. But if you only use it sporadically, I recommend leaving it off and just going through this extra step when needed.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
The "High Accuracy" setting will work, but it also consumes more battery life. If you use Maps a lot, then it might make sense to leave it on. But if you only use it sporadically, I recommend leaving it off and just going through this extra step when needed.

High Accuracy doesn't consume any additional battery except when an app requests high accuracy location. If it's causing a noticeable battery drain then you have an app that's requesting high accuracy unnecessarily.

Here are my settings, High Accuracy has been on all the time, still I get that annoying popup.

I'm thinking this might be a bug. In previous versions, once you hit Ignore once it would not come back (if you tapped outside the box to dismiss it, it would still come back). Now I'm seeing the same thing as you, the popup is coming up every time.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone figured out a way to do this yet? After the last update this message keeps popping up for me whenever I open Google Maps. It's pretty annoying, never happened before (Samsung Galaxy Note 4)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL