Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Default Google Maps: hide forever the "Improve accuracy by turning on WI-FI" popup

Hi everybody,

on the latest Google Maps app, when tapping the button to find your current location while on 3G or 4G network, there is always a popup appearing asking me if I want to turn on wifi to improve the location accuracy. I can dismiss it, but next time I open Maps it will appear again.

Google Maps: hide forever the "Improve accuracy by turning on WI-FI" popup-screenshot_2014-08-17-19-41-24.jpg

How can I dismiss it for good?

Thanks

Global Posts
    10,485 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Google Maps: hide forever the "Improve accuracy by turning on WI-FI" popup

Quote Originally Posted by mirko77 View Post
    Hi everybody,

on the latest Google Maps app, when tapping the button to find your current location while on 3G or 4G network, there is always a popup appearing asking me if I want to turn on wifi to improve the location accuracy. I can dismiss it, but next time I open Maps it will appear again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-17-19-41-24.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	132587

How can I dismiss it for good?

Thanks
    Go into Settings > Location. Make sure location is set to "On" and the Mode "High Accuracy". You may have that disabled, so it's trying to pinpoint your location by using an alternate means, such as through Wi-Fi.

Let us know how that works for you.

Default Re: Google Maps: hide forever the "Improve accuracy by turning on WI-FI" popup

The "High Accuracy" setting will work, but it also consumes more battery life. If you use Maps a lot, then it might make sense to leave it on. But if you only use it sporadically, I recommend leaving it off and just going through this extra step when needed.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Here are my settings, High Accuracy has been on all the time, still I get that annoying popup.

Google Maps: hide forever the "Improve accuracy by turning on WI-FI" popup-screenshot_2014-08-18-09-26-26.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldthor View Post
    The "High Accuracy" setting will work, but it also consumes more battery life. If you use Maps a lot, then it might make sense to leave it on. But if you only use it sporadically, I recommend leaving it off and just going through this extra step when needed.
    High Accuracy doesn't consume any additional battery except when an app requests high accuracy location. If it's causing a noticeable battery drain then you have an app that's requesting high accuracy unnecessarily.

Here are my settings, High Accuracy has been on all the time, still I get that annoying popup.
    I'm thinking this might be a bug. In previous versions, once you hit Ignore once it would not come back (if you tapped outside the box to dismiss it, it would still come back). Now I'm seeing the same thing as you, the popup is coming up every time.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I am pretty sure if we report it to Google they will say it works as intended...they love to break stuff!

I am pretty sure if we report it to Google they will say it works as intended...they love to break stuff!
    I'm having this problem too on my Sony Xperia Z 3 compact. What a hassle.

Has anyone figured out a way to do this yet? After the last update this message keeps popping up for me whenever I open Google Maps. It's pretty annoying, never happened before (Samsung Galaxy Note 4)
    DULY NOTED
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Angry Re: Google Maps: hide forever the "Improve accuracy by turning on WI-FI" popup

I don't know what is Google thinking!

Is there a way we can just report it as bug or as a massive annoyance somewhere???

Global Posts
    13,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

This is why I back up every version of every app.