Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jonnsl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Crazy android

Hi,

Today I noticed that my nexus 5 was crazy hot when charging (52.7ºC according to CPU-Z), I turned it off, waited for it to cool down a bit, and then turned it back on. then I went to setting->battery to see if there was any buggy app that was behaving abnormally, but found nothing out of the ordinary. but I found through CPU-Z that the cpu load was pretty high, I went to settings->apps to see which apps were open and to my surprise android was simple opening random apps, closing it and doing it again. just look for yourselves:

youtu.be/s9ytS0Fu_Wo
    (sorry for the vertical video)

I recently installed duolingo and wikipedia apps, but I doubt that they are the culprit. This had already happened before, but a simple restart fixed the issue and I just carried on without worrying about it. but now, no matter how many times I restart, this issue persists.

This has really being an issue to me because my phone is now pretty much useless, the battery drains really fast and the phone is too hot to even keep it in my pocket.

I really appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks

Default Re: Crazy android

Welcome to Android Central! Try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition. Keep in mind that this can take up to 10 minutes on the Nexus 5. [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

no luck, wiped the cache but nothing changed...

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

You should try a factory reset, so you can start fresh and test little by little what is messing with your phone
    Do you have a custom ROM or kernel ?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the help B.Didddy and Plumillon
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumillon View Post
    Do you have a custom ROM or kernel ?
    I don't use any custom ROM.

I started to uninstall every app, one by one, and restarting the phone to see if the if anything changed. After uninstalling the blockchain app the problem disappeared. didn't know an app could trigger such an odd behavior...
    B. Diddy likes this.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Yeah this is the thing with Android, the goods is every dev can go on this adventure but the bads is poorly developed application can be in the Play Store too
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

looks like this bug happens in the following scenario.
    Digital Clock Widget Xperia + blockchain widget

LogCat has a bunch of these for different apps:
    08-18 12:53:27.562: I/ActivityManager(764): Start proc com.google.android.youtube for broadcast com.google.android.youtube/.app.honeycomb.widget.WidgetProvider: pid=23871 [...]
    a bunch of lines later...
    08-18 12:53:34.162: I/ActivityManager(764): Killing 23871:com.google.android.youtube [...]

Maybe its a bug related to AppWidgetProvider. but I'm not an experienced android developer so I don't know for sure.