Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Moto X warranty issue

I'm not positive where the correct place for this would be, as it's not device specific so I figured it fell under general help. If there's a better place for it, let me know I'll happily move it. That being said;

Last Fall I replaced my prehistoric and totally broken Droid 2 with a Moto X, and like a lot of people was surprised by how much I liked it. I've recommended it to so many people, and I'm convinced it's the best phone ever. I was basically completely satisfied with every aspect of it, until late June when it started to have issues charging. It started to get worse, to the point that I had to delicately balance the charger in the port in exactly the right way, or it wouldn't charge.
    I brought it to a Verizon Store after a couple weeks of that, and after examining it for a couple minutes, the sales bro told me the charging port was just shot, the good news being I would get a warranty replacement free of charge in the mail. A couple days later, I got a new one, I sent the old one back, and everything seemed good to go.
    The other day, however, I got a call from my mom saying that Verizon had added a $300 or so charge to our bill, saying that my new phone was *not* covered by the warranty. It's a family plan I'm on, so this was the first I was hearing of this. Apparently they had sent the phone back to Motorola who inspected it, and found corrosion in the charging port which was "evidence of water damage" and not covered by the warranty, which caused Verizon to ex post facto levy the full cost of the replacement device on me.
    That came as a surprise to me, since I definitely never dropped my phone in any water or exposed it to any type of extreme conditions, and am generally careful with it. I've sent text messages in light rain, but that's the most inclement conditions it's ever experienced. It doesn't seem right to me that corrosion which occurs under normal, appropriate use of a device should void it's warranty.
    Like I said, this a family plan I'm on, so my mom's been acting as an intermediary between me and Verizon. Not exactly ideal, so I'll be calling tomorrow. Has anyone had experience with a situation like this? Do I have any sort of recourse? The only number I have to call is the normal Verizon customer support line, so that's where I'm going to start.
    If anyone has any advice or guidance I'd really appreciate it.

Default Re: Verizon Moto X warranty issue

Call Verizon and explain the situation. They might or might not agree.

if you cannot convince them, you can file a complaint to the bbb and state ag, as well as file a notice of dispute and, if necessary, go through arbitration.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3