Repair Micro USB cable?

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
So I've got a couple micro USB cables that are fully functional on the electronic end, yet the plug doesn't seem to "lock" into place in my phone. I'm guessing its those two little things that stick up on the top?(depends on who you ask?) side of the plug. Anybody figure out how to pop these puppies back out or repair these cables? Hate to toss a cable if I can fix it.

hiredgun

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Not sure exactly what you mean, but if they are not fitting tightly on the end that plugs into the phone, I have found that wrapping the tip with Scotch tape will do the trick a lot of times. Try just going around once, and if it's still lose you can try wrapping it twice. If it's a loose connection you are talking about, this should do it.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Not sure exactly what you mean, but if they are not fitting tightly on the end that plugs into the phone, I have found that wrapping the tip with Scotch tape will do the trick a lot of times. Try just going around once, and if it's still lose you can try wrapping it twice. If it's a loose connection you are talking about, this should do it.

I really wouldn't recommend this, since you could end up gunking up your MicroUSB port and causing your phone to no longer make a good connection via USB. That's much harder to repair. If it comes down to this, spend the $3 on a new MicroUSB cable before you start sticking tape into your phone's USB port.

As far as repairing the cable itself, it can be tricky. The little prongs you're talking about look like hooks but they are actually solid "wedges." Your best bet is to try getting behind them by going in through the "top" (the end of the slit the prongs are in that is closest to the phone end) with a very thin needle.

Honestly though, I would just spend the $3 and buy a new cable from Monoprice.

Premium USB to Micro USB Charge & Sync Cable 6ft- Black - Monoprice.com

The "premium" cables are worth the extra cost. The only problem I've ever had with a USB cable is what you're describing (the prongs giving way and the cable not staying in the phone). That usually happens to me after about a year. I've had the premium cable for two years and it is still going strong. Either way, they have a lifetime guarantee and will replace the cable (including for this issue) without charging shipping.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I really wouldn't recommend this, since you could end up gunking up your MicroUSB port and causing your phone to no longer make a good connection via USB. That's much harder to repair. If it comes down to this, spend the $3 on a new MicroUSB cable before you start sticking tape into your phone's USB port.

As far as repairing the cable itself, it can be tricky. The little prongs you're talking about look like hooks but they are actually solid "wedges." Your best bet is to try getting behind them by going in through the "top" (the end of the slit the prongs are in that is closest to the phone end) with a very thin needle.

Honestly though, I would just spend the $3 and buy a new cable from Monoprice.

Premium USB to Micro USB Charge & Sync Cable 6ft- Black - Monoprice.com

The "premium" cables are worth the extra cost. The only problem I've ever had with a USB cable is what you're describing (the prongs giving way and the cable not staying in the phone). That usually happens to me after about a year. I've had the premium cable for two years and it is still going strong. Either way, they have a lifetime guarantee and will replace the cable (including for this issue) without charging shipping.

I've got plenty of extra cables, I just didn't want to throw this one away. I tried pulling them back up with a needle and it seems to have worked! I actually have that monoprice cable lol.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I've got plenty of extra cables, I just didn't want to throw this one away. I tried pulling them back up with a needle and it seems to have worked! I actually have that monoprice cable lol.

Great. Like I said, Monoprice will replace them for this issue (I ran into it with the non-premium cables). I just told them it was no longer sticking into my devices, and that I had tried with multiple devices, and they sent me a new one without having me return the old one.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Great. Like I said, Monoprice will replace them for this issue (I ran into it with the non-premium cables). I just told them it was no longer sticking into my devices, and that I had tried with multiple devices, and they sent me a new one without having me return the old one.
Yeah, the monoprice premium cable I've got works great, its just the cable that came with my DNA that is messed up.

Mephilis 78

Oct 15, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys! I have a nice micro usb with thick gauge wire and threaded insulation that I really wanted to save. It was a Microsoft cable I got for my Xbox One controller, but my wife pushed the prongs in by plugging her phone into it 10 million times over the weakend.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek