Why am I not able to move files to my SD card?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why my does'nt show SD Card

Welcome to Android Central! What phone do you have? In many phones, "Move to SD card" actually means moving a portion of the app to the "Internal SD" (a partition of the internal storage), and not the external microSD card. And it's never the whole app--it's always just a portion of the app.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Not all apps can be moved to the SD Card (it's up to each developer to allow it or not), and even when they can be moved, not all data is actually transferred. Some move only extra-downloads, some just basic save data. But all apps must keep the core files in the phone memory if you're on KitKat (prior versions did allow for full SD Card operability).

HaYQarl Sting

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Usually when to move apps,it listed 'move to sd card' but my phone it listed 'move to phone storage'....I want to move Clash Of Clans..

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Oh, well then that's a problem.
If you browse with the phone's File Manager (or a 3rd party solution), can you see the SD Card as inserted? You can also look under the Storage section in the Settings, at the bottom, to see if the phone recognizes the SD Card.

Also, if your phone can see the card but cannot move apps to it, that could be because, well, your phone just doesn't support the option to do so. Again, Google removed native support for this a few versions of Android ago. Things just got 'tougher' for the SD card with KitKat.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Usually when to move apps,it listed 'move to sd card' but my phone it listed 'move to phone storage'....I want to move Clash Of Clans..

When you install certain apps, they may automatically start using the SD card (usually the Internal SD) to store data), so that may be what Clash of Clans is doing. So it has probably already been moved to SD by default. It's giving you the option of moving all data back to the main Phone Storage, which isn't advisable, because that will decrease your available space to install more apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You haven't told us yet which phone you have, because different devices may manage their storage partitions differently. Can you show us the screenshot for the main Settings>Storage screen? Show us the entire screen (scroll down and take multiple screenshots if necessary). It'd be helpful to know exactly how your phone's storage is partitioned. In the meantime, see this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

often it stated "move to sd card", but this "move to phone storage"

Right, what I was saying is that the app might already be "moved to SD card" by default, and the Data that you see listed is actually on the SD, while there is still a small component of data on Phone Storage. If you were to tap the Move to Phone Storage button, then I suspect the Data listing would disappear, and Phone Storage Data would increase to 3.1 MB.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Yup, like he said. Probably the app is already on the SD card, which is why now telling you that you can move it back to the phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ok, I think I understand how the phone is configured. It's annoying, because different manufacturers use different terminology. And it's not exactly what I had thought initially.

"Internal Storage" is probably the App Storage partition. This is where apps are primarily installed.

"Phone Storage" is the "internal SD," and is where portions of apps can be moved to. So that's why your phone says "Move to Phone Storage" instead of "Move to SD"--for the phone, Phone Storage is the SD.

Internal Storage and Phone Storage are just two partitions of the total onboard storage ROM that the phone came with.

"SD Card" is the physical removable microSD card. I am guessing that your phone does not allow moving portions of an app to the microSD card.

Zurei Tina

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site

Ok, I think I understand how the phone is configured. It's annoying, because different manufacturers use different terminology. And it's not exactly what I had thought initially.

"Internal Storage" is probably the App Storage partition. This is where apps are primarily installed.

"Phone Storage" is the "internal SD," and is where portions of apps can be moved to. So that's why your phone says "Move to Phone Storage" instead of "Move to SD"--for the phone, Phone Storage is the SD.

Internal Storage and Phone Storage are just two partitions of the total onboard storage ROM that the phone came with.

"SD Card" is the physical removable microSD card. I am guessing that your phone does not allow moving portions of an app to the microSD card.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! As mentioned above, some devices don't allow you to move apps to SD in the first place.
Because the developer actually tested the app running from the SD card, and knows it won't work properly (or at all), so he doesn't give you the option of ignoring his advice to not move it, then complain after you did, he just doesn't let you do it wrong in the first place.

Android was never designed to run apps from the external card, it's just luck that some apps will run from it. Many won't. (For instance, widgets won't, nor will the widget of any app moved to the card.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38