Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RGarridy86
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Iphone to android

Now that I have unlimited data. I am thinking about switching to android. I don't have wifi at my place and with a iphone i can't back up my phone download most apps because of the size ect. What I'm asking is. Do you really need wifi for anything with a android phone? Oh ya I will be either going with the new moto x +1 or the new nexus if google for some reason do come out with a new one

Default Re: Iphone to android

Welcome to Android Central! Since so much smartphone use these days relies on a web connection, and many services can use a lot of data (like video or music streaming), wi-fi can be very helpful--unless you get an unlimited data plan. So if you plan on going with T-Mobile, for example, and getting one of their unlimited data plans, then you probably don't need wi-fi. But if you get any other limited data plans, then you'll probably wish you had wi-fi at home.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ya I just switched to tmobs unlimited lte. So ya with a android I have no need for wifi then?

Quote Originally Posted by zinfan4 View Post
    Ya I just switched to tmobs unlimited lte. So ya with a android I have no need for wifi then?
    I believe it would be the same no matter what device you use. You may not need wifi unless you're in an area that you don't get good data connection and wifi is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well yes with a android divice. Or am I missing something on ios that let's me not have to be on wifi to back up my phone and dl big apps

Nope, no problems with app downloads. Amazon Appstore used to have a limitation, but they got rid of it.

Do you have a computer at home? If so, how do you connect that to the web, via Ethernet? If you plan to use the phone as a wi-fi tether, keep in mind that there's a 5 GB/month limit for tethering, so if you plan on streaming lots of movies on your computer via wi-fi tether, think again.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

No pc. I just stream everything from my phone

Well yes with a android divice. Or am I missing something on ios that let's me not have to be on wifi to back up my phone and dl big apps
    The iPhone unfortunately has no way to get around that restriction. With Android it's not an issue. When you try to download a large app it will prompt you to download over WiFi only but you can uncheck the box and proceed anyway instead of being completely blocked like on the iPhone.

Keep in mind though that many apps will default to only doing certain tasks over WiFi. Evernote, for example, is set to only sync over WiFi but you can easily override that. We can't guarantee that every application will allow you to do that, though. I know the old Mog app (now discontinued) would only let you stream 64kbps over 3G but would give you 320kbps over WiFi and had no option to change that. That's obviously an old example but there could still be some out there.

Now that I have unlimited data. I am thinking about switching to android. I don't have wifi at my place and with a iphone i can't back up my phone download most apps because of the size ect. What I'm asking is. Do you really need wifi for anything with a android phone? Oh ya I will be either going with the new moto x +1 or the new nexus if google for some reason do come out with a new one
    I switched from iPhone to Samsung, but am switching back when iPhone 6 comes out. Smoother OS, better product. Im leaving soon![removed by moderator]
    brick58 likes this.