Buying a Nexus 5 - 16 or 32GB?

AverageNinja

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys! So my iPod Touch 4g is dying on me after 3 years of hard use, so it's time for a new device. Now I'm done with the iPod and I kind of want to give Android a go, so the Nexus 5 caught my eye.

Now I'm by no means someone who has a lot of stuff on his phone. I hardly play games and I don't store any video files on my phone. On the other hand, I listen to a lot of music. I can easily have 400 ~ 500 songs on my phone, and I usually have 1 or 2GB worth of pictures stored too. Though I'm willing to import all pictures to my PC from time to time, so that won't be an issue too. This phone will be my daily driver for at least 2 years though.

At the moment I have about 6.9GB (20GB of the 32 left) in use on my iPod, minus 1.1 GB of pictures. Although I only have 3 songs on it at the moment because I've jailbroken it (I have quite a few tweaks on it too).

So what do you guys think? Should I spend the extra €50 (about $80 I think) for the 32GB version or will the 16GB version be fine for me?

Thanks in advance! :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since the Nexus 5 has no SD card slot, definitely get the 32 GB version if you can afford it. Remember that on the 16 GB version, you don't actually have the full 16 GB available to you. The OS takes up about 3-4 GB, so you'd really only have about 12-13 GB available to use.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree with B. Diddy. For a lot of people, 12-13 is enough. But if you are a person who likes to play a lot of games, or to keep a large library of music and/or pictures with you at all times, I'd definitely get the 32GB version if you can afford it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
For sure 32GB version. I don't keep a lot of stuff on my phone or take many photos. But I use it to listen to music, and I don't rip my CDs at 128 or 160 kbps either, I go for a VBR of 320 kbps. That gobbles a lot of memory, so without a SD card slot you should pay the extra money.

AverageNinja

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys! I'll try to get a 32GB version! :)

Money shouldn't be a problem, but availability is. I guess I'll need to order it online after all (I prefer retail stores, I don't like waiting a day or more ;))!

AverageNinja

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Thought I'd give you guys an update: I think I found a store relatively close (45 minute drive) which has the Nexus 5 32GB in stock. A tad bit more expensive (€20) but that's no concern whatsoever! I think I'll go there somewhere next week :)

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I should have added, while the standard music player is pretty darn good, I really like the interface of Rocket Player. If you play a lot of music, it could be worth checking out. Well, just a suggestion. :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thought I'd give you guys an update: I think I found a store relatively close (45 minute drive) which has the Nexus 5 32GB in stock. A tad bit more expensive (€20) but that's no concern whatsoever! I think I'll go there somewhere next week :)

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions. I think you'll be happy with the device. It's a good idea to get the 32gb version Just to be safe - keep us posted.