cant get more than 4 mp4 movies on my 32gb card

eddiebhoy

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I heard that coz my 32gb card is formatted as FAT32 , that any movies that are more than 4gb wont play , and has been the case as in the first 2 or 3 movies I put on my card as mp4 played fine , but when I was playing like the 4th and 5th , it was saying cannot play this file , yet if I formatted it again and put in the ones that wouldn't play alone on the card they play fine , I read somewhere that 64gb cards come as standard as being formatted with exfat , I even tried formatting my card on pc as exfat and when I put it into my phone it was saying it was damaged and it had to format it and it was back to FAT32 , and be nice the phone I am using is the kingsing android K5 .

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I heard that coz my 32gb card is formatted as FAT32 , that any movies that are more than 4gb wont play , and has been the case as in the first 2 or 3 movies I put on my card as mp4 played fine , but when I was playing like the 4th and 5th , it was saying cannot play this file , yet if I formatted it again and put in the ones that wouldn't play alone on the card they play fine , I read somewhere that 64gb cards come as standard as being formatted with exfat , I even tried formatting my card on pc as exfat and when I put it into my phone it was saying it was damaged and it had to format it and it was back to FAT32 , and be nice the phone I am using is the kingsing android K5 .

Are you using the default media player? If so, consider another from the Play Store. Perhaps it's a file format issue and the videos not being read by the app?

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
You are correct that a FAT32 format cannot support files greater than 4GB. Since the files in question work when you have nothing else on the card it doesn't seem to be the files themselves. exFAT is likely not supported by your phone since it requires an additional licensing fee.

After you copy 5 movies onto your MicroSD, are all the file sizes correct? Do they show the same on your microSD card as they do on your computer?

eddiebhoy

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I already tried mx player and another all format player ,. it's weird how it will only allow me to play like 3 movies , and see the ones that I tried to play that would say cannot play this file , I would then format the card and just put in the movie that said it cannot play , and it played fine , just earlier I put in 5 movies and was able to only play 3 out of the 5 , but as usual if I formatted the card I could play the movies it would play when I had more than like 4gb of movies on the card and yet its 32gb , I am trying to find out what would be the best format of sd card to go for as far as I am told if the card has been formatted as FAT32 it wont play any other movies if the space on the card is more than 4gb , I tried formatting it as exfat and it said it was damaged when I put it in , so its back to square one , Can u recommend a format as in wether it would be exfat or ntfs for A card to buy ,

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
The 4GB restriction is not on the total files on the sdcard, it's that no single file can exceed 4GB in FAT32. If you were bumping up to that limit you wouldn't even be able to copy the files over.

Since you have a budget phone chances are the manufacturer did not include support for exfat or NTFS, so you're stuck with FAT32.

eddiebhoy

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Correct me If I'm wrong , are you saying I can put on more movies up to the space of 32gb as long as each movie is under 4gb , Also I do appreciate your advice bud.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Correct me If I'm wrong , are you saying I can put on more movies up to the space of 32gb as long as each movie is under 4gb , Also I do appreciate your advice bud.

I'm saying you should be able to. The intrinsic limitation of FAT32 is based on individual file size of 4GB, not the total storage capacity. It can support up to 2TB total storage capacity.

As far as your issue goes... I would try copying 5 or so movies over, checking which ones don't play, and then copying those movies that don't play back to a new folder on your computer. If they play there, then the device is having some trouble reading from the card. If they don't play after you copy them back, it could be a problem with the card itself not being written to correctly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia