Is anyone here actually actively using GroupMe (for small group messaging) ?

KeenAndroid3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to determine if GroupMe is genuinely practical for our daily use.

I dont see a lot of users. But I could really use a 'group' tool for our card club (about 14 members).

Are people willing to download an app to be a part of a group?

How do you get them to do that?

I currently have some friends on facebook (we have a fb group) BUT most members are not on fb....so we have a tough time staying organized.

Any suggestions appreciated!!

Regarding sms/text messages: Group messaging is not practical for us as some members really dont like a LOT of incoming text messages....esp from everyone in the group....hence our interest in GroupMe. Thanks.

Last edited:

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I haven’t used GroupMe in particular but I have some more general experience. I would say that the more “techy” users are typically more resistant to installing an application for a single purpose. It really depends on your group. I would ask everyone the next time you meet and gauge interest.

For an alternative, have you considered Hangouts? I use it for group messaging and it works very well. You can even “unsubscribe” from individual hangouts so that you won’t receive notifications but can still get to the messages. You also get the big advantage that it’s pre-installed on Android and since it’s from Google it may seem more trustworthy than GroupMe to iPhone users.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Do iPhone users really use google hangouts?

I know a few who do, and the iPhone app is just as good as the Android app. Like I said, the two pros for it are 1) more than half your users will already have it installed (statistically) and 2) the remaining users will not have much issue installing software from Google compared to "mindless dribble inc."

Now, you do need to create a Gmail account if you don't have one already, but again I think more people would have a Gmail account than a GroupMe account.

onlysublime

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
it's kind of confusing what you're actually asking.

groupme is great for a number of reasons:

- you don't need to have an app or a smartphone to participate. I have some friends on feature phones that would like to participate in a group but their phones aren't great at group texting.
- you can still send private messages even when in a group
- easy to share animated gifs, pics, videos
- it's on every platform (Windows Phone, iOS, Android)
- meme support
- saves your media in a gallery so you don't have to remember when the pict/video/gif was posted and you don't have to dig through a huge chat history to find it
- pretty lightweight in terms of battery/CPU compared to other apps

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks