Android Office Software

Lagoon_75

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if any of you good folk are able to help. I'm looking for a decent Office suite (Word / Excel compatible) that will allow me to view and edit documents that are stored locally on my own network on a NAS. All solutions I have looked at so far (Hancome Office; Office Suite 7 Pro) seem only able to access files stored on my tablet, or with a cloud service (Drop Box; Google etc). Am I missing something, or just picking the wrong software?

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,

Cliff

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if any of you good folk are able to help. I'm looking for a decent Office suite (Word / Excel compatible) that will allow me to view and edit documents that are stored locally on my own network on a NAS. All solutions I have looked at so far (Hancome Office; Office Suite 7 Pro) seem only able to access files stored on my tablet, or with a cloud service (Drop Box; Google etc). Am I missing something, or just picking the wrong software?

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,

Cliff

Try Kingsoft office. I don't know if it can access files the way you want, but it can edit most file types with just the free version. I liked Kingsoft so much, I downloaded their PC software too (I only had a trial version of MS Office on my PC).

Lagoon_75

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that - just downloaded it. Not sure if it will do the job, but it seems to have options for ftp etc, so looks hopeful. :) Will have to have a play.

Thanks again,

Cliff

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I was sure that MS released Office Mobile for Android a while back but it's not on Play Store.

Posted via Android Central App

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I had my share of tablets and office apps from BlackBerry to Android. Nothing beats MS Office. I've given my tablets to my kids after picking up a Surface Pro 3. I don't really like the Office programs on Android. The native Office program on BB10 is ok for light editing or last minute changes to PowerPoint.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Lagoon_75

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I know what you mean. I'm struggling with Kingston Office right now. The programme itself seems fine, but I cant get it to access the files stored on my N A S. It looks like it should be able to do the job, but I just dont seem able to configure the server address correctly. Probably just me - hoping Ill have a lightbulb moment in the night!!

Cliff

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

blak8830

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Try using ES File Explorer to browse or select the file(s) you want to open. You can add local network servers, or use ftp. Kingsoft(Now WPS) Office, QuickOffice, or AndrOpenOffice(android port of Open Office) are all useful, each with their own quirks - AndrOpen really needs a tablet to work best.

Lagoon_75

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I've tried that, but it caches the file to the SD card and won't allow me to save the file back to the NAS. Better than nothing I suppose, but I was really hoping for something that works the sameway as the desktop software (i.e. open file on NAS, make changes, save file on NAS).

It looks like everything is moving towards Cloud storage via Google etc, perhaps I'll have to move with the times! 😕

Cliff

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Cloud storage would probably be the easiest answer for you. If your phone is rooted though you can just mount the smb share using cifsmanager.

Lagoon_75

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I think you're right. Been playing with Google docs for the last day or so and it seems to do what I want. Haven't tried rooting, and to be honest, it's not something I want to try (coward or what!!)

Thanks for all the help,

Cliff

lynmarti

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried Docs to Go? Likely cloud is all it can do as far as connectivity, but as far as office functionality goes, it's a great app.

Lagoon_75

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Whoops!! Missed this reply somehow.

Haven't tried Docs to go, but will def check it out. Currently using Hancom Office - its pretty good, but some things are a bit fiddly.

Cheers,

Cliff

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown