Using the phone while charging -- Is it bad?

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
while using a samsung tablet, it popped up a notice, due to low battery power, saying that using it while charging will not be effective (something like that).

i wonder if it will damage the battery itself, if it is just ineffective, that is fine with me.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: using wile charging, does it damage the battery?

No. It will charge slower, but it won't damage the battery. You can use it while charging without worrying :)

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site

I'm wondering the same thing myself as my device drains the battery really fast. So I pretty much have to leave the device plug in where ever there is an outlet. Anyone knows if that wears out the battery faster than say unplug the device when the battery is fully caged? I'm thinking about getting a high capacity battery if leaving the device plug in all the time turns out to be a bad thing.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Lithium Ion batteries are fairly easy to take care of, but will degrade over time no matter how they are treated. Using the device while charging does not hurt them at all. Leaving them at full capacity all the time can degrade the battery, but cycling the battery does as well.

The "best" way to treat a LiIon battery is to use it down to around 40% before recharging each time. That said, it's not going to make a huge difference in the lifespan of the battery.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Leaving them at full capacity all the time can degrade the battery, but cycling the battery does as well.

From what I've read, yes cycling can degrade it over time, but leaving it plugged in with a full charge is far more damaging. That and heat.

To the original question, it's perfectly fine to use while charging in most cases. The only exception would be if you plan on putting a big demand on it like gaming that can heat up the battery a lot, but that's if you want to do everything you can to preserve the life of the battery. The reason it charges slower when using it is because there's a limited amount of power available from the charger. The device will siphon off what it needs to simply run, with the rest being used to charge the battery. As the power demands of the device increase during use, that leaves less power to charge the battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang