Google Hangouts Video Chat: Google+ Required?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Been trying to get a Hangouts Video chat working between a colleague and me. He's on an iPhone and I'm on an Android handset. No problem getting a session going with my wife (also Android), but can't get one going with him. The camera icon doesn't show up for the other on either of our phones. Could it be because he doesn't have a Google+ account? (My wife and I both have Google+ accounts.)

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It could be. I think even sharing image files requires a Google+ account. No thanks.
Eh... *shrug* I run hot and cold on the whole "how much Google knows about me" thing. At times I get annoyed with Google (a year ago I darn near switched to iThings), then, as in the other day, I resignedly decide "What's the difference? It's not as if anybody who wants to can't find out, anyway." Re-activated Google+ and even activated Google Now. I mean: Talk about "Every move you make, every step you take": Holy smokes. (Played with it a bit and turned it off, again, until I get a handle on its data and battery load.)

Yes the video chat functionality is tied to the Google talk plugin, while SMS functions separately.
I don't have Google Talk installed on either handset or tablet, and video chat in Hangouts works fine on both.

I'm pretty sure both parties have to have Google+ accounts in order for chats to hook up in Hangouts.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't have Google Talk installed on either handset or tablet, and video chat in Hangouts works fine on both.

I'm pretty sure both parties have to have Google+ accounts in order for chats to hook up in Hangouts.

Google Talk became Hangouts; the hooks are still the same.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish