Why is my 128GB micro SDXC slow and messing up data?

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
128GB micro SDXC is slow and messes up data.

Many sites say that FAT32 is the best format; however, I don't understand this "4GB limit". Do they mean you can't transfer more than 4GB at a time, or do they mean no matter how much memory your card holds, it will hold 4GB instead of 128GB when using FAT32?

Right now, the default format is exFAT, but it's as slow as heck and has some errors transferring files from PC to card. I also tried NTFS and it's equally slow.

This leads to a question: how the heck can I transfer a bunch of data quickly without having any problems? The card I purchased was the older version of the card from Amazon by a seller and not the newer version of the card straight from Amazon themselves.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: 128GB micro SDXC is slow and messes up data.

FAT32 has an individual filesize limit of 4 GB. It can't handle files greater than 4 GB in size.

Are you primarily having problems with the card in your PC? Does it also have problems in your Android device? It sounds like you should look into returning or exchanging that card--it shouldn't be sluggish in your PC. Unless your PC is really old and perhaps doesn't support the card ...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

1) Don't use a USB hub when transferring large amounts of data. They're not designed for that.

2) I've noticed that transferring large amounts of data (,any gigs) at one time to/from an Android phone to be problematic. Transfer one file at a time. (ex-FAT the card if you'll be handling files larger than 4GB. Only FAT32 or exFAT - never format the card NTFS if you're going to use it in the phone.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Fails on a single file larger than 4GB, or fails to transfer more than 4GB of files?

Also, the card could be defective, or it could be counterfeit (not really a 128GB card - there are a lot of cards out there using 4GB memory chips that are programmed to say that they're a lot larger, like 64GB or 128GB. If that's what you have, you can't put more than 4GB on a 4GB memory chip, regardless of what the card is programmed to claim to be.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463