How do I set up custom reminders for specific contacts?

CGordonAlgernon

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Handcent - how to set custom reminder for specific contact

Hello Android experts,

I'm trying to put together the following behavior and have some of the pieces but have not been able to get it to work. I use Handcent because it works well overall.

The current need is due to the fact that I slept through an alert because it just wasn't loud enough despite my having the ringtone volume almost all the way up. And I recall with an earlier phone being able to use Handcent to repeat an alert and use a sound that got progressively louder.

I am on call periodically, and when on call, I need the following to happen:

1. For SMS messages coming from our alert system:
1.1. Play a loud alert if the alert is from the alert system address
1.2. Repeat that loud alert until I wake up
1.3. Set red color for alert in the menu

1.1. I have found a loud alert using LOUD Ringtones. I also see in Handcent how to use Personalization to set that sound only for the alert system address/thread.
1.2. I have found the Handcent setting to use Reminders to repeat an alert, but it seems to apply to all alerts, not just to the address/thread in 1.1.
1.3. I also found out how to do this as well.

So it seems I need only 1.2. I want to make sure that alerts from our alert system wake me up or get my attention, but I don't want every single incoming text message to play a LOUD sound. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks for any help!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Handcent - how to set custom reminder for specific contact

I know there could be another way but I use Tasker, it's a paid app, and you can set behaviors based on just about anything the phone can do. For example you can say when I get an SMS from this contact increase phone volume to max and extend the notification time to 1 min. You can have it wake the device so that the display lights up and you can control the brightness of the display. For example I usually use auto brightness and at night of course auto brightness dims the display to its lowest setting, this would override that and could max out the display. It can also monitor incoming SMS, Email, and Calls and change the phone's behavior based on the contact, the time of day, the day of the week virtually anything. I use it to turn on WiFi when I'm within range of my home, and to turn on GPS when I open certain apps, to turn off data during work hours and turn it back on when I leave. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination and the handful of things Google won't allow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20