How can I get rid of Google Maps v7 and replace with v6?

walkonby

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Get rid of Google Maps v7 and replace with v6

How do I remove Google Maps v7 and install v6? v7 is a disaster because Google removed a bunch of critically important useful functions.

Nexus 4, Android 4.4.4

- Is this posted in the right forum? I don't understand when are you supposed to post here and when in the forum for your particular phone -

Don't worry about *why* I want to do this - if you need to know, read all the people exploding with rage at the Google Product Forums about how awful v7 is :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Get rid of Google Maps v7 and replace with v6

Posting here is fine. You could try uninstalling all updates, then looking for an apk file for version 6 somewhere on the web. You'll have to deal with constant notifications that an update is available, though, and remember not to update all.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Get rid of Google Maps v7 and replace with v6

Try My Directions before giving up on Maps. It runs the same on 6, 7 and 8 (I'm running 8 now) and without it, almost any version of Maps is useless. With it, Maps is like Contacts. Pick a destination, press Navigate on the popup, and Maps runs with the coordinates of that destination already set. You can sort by name, edit - stuff that Maps should be doing itself. (And it's free.) Without My Directons, I'd never use Maps (I used Mapquest before I found MD), but I always use Maps, because that's what My Directions runs, and it's better for the list of places than any nav app I've found. (Set it for Driveway direction type if you want car directions or you'll have to change it in Maps every time you run, and set it for Navigate in Default action.)