What does Google backup do?

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Running 4.4.4. In settings > backup and reset, I checked back up my data and automatic restore. I kept Wi-Fi on. After a few days, I tested the restore feature by uninstalling and reinstalling an app from play store. Nothing happened. It did not restore my data.

So what does this do? How do I know if it backed up anything. Can I view the back up? How do I make it restore? Should I just turn it off?

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
The Google Backup under backup and reset just backs up your system settings.

Google does provide an app data backup via Google Play Services but it is up to each application to implement it.

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The explanation on the page gives the impression that it'll restore your app settings but I guess it does not.

These devices are complicated enough that they should give you good backup and migration tools. Remember the good old DOS days when everything belonging to a program was in one directory and you just copy everything over?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Remember the good old DOS days when everything belonging to a program was in one directory and you just copy everything over?
Usually. It depended on the programmer. (I remember CP/M 1.3 days and Isis days too. And backing up on cassette tapes.)

But Helium is the easiest way to back up data. It's not like an incremental backup system, but it does keep your latest data (and you can make a backup tree on a PC to keep backups going back as far as you like - like weekly, keep the Friday backups, keep the last Friday backup of the month, start a full backup the next day ... Like in DOS days).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1