How do I get out of a bootloop on my Android RCT6077W2 RCA Tablet?

Kalgon

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Soft-Bricked Android RCT6077W2 RCA Tablet

I edited the void.fstab file using ES File Explorer in /system/etc, and rebooted only to find myself stuck in a bootloop, since then i've tried to reinstall, update to a 1.0.3 and 1.0.7 zip that i've found on the internet, and nothing will work.. it just says RCA > Android is Updating, and then goes back to RCA again.. Anyone know how I can fix this and replace the void.fstab..? I tried the adb but all it will let me do is sideload command..

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Soft-Bricked Android RCT6077W2 RCA Tablet

adb pull /system/etc/void.fstab c:\

That will put the file on your C drive. Edit it (with an editor that can edit Unix files - Notepad will put the wrong line endings on the lines) to fix what you broke.

Then
adb su shell rm /system/etc/void.fstab
adb push c:/ /system/etc/void.fstab

That should delete the bad file and upload the edited file back to the tab. (I think I didn't make any typos, but maybe someone who speaks *nix will double-check me.)

Kalgon

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Android SDK\adt-bundle-windows-x86-20140702\sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF sideload

D:\Android SDK\adt-bundle-windows-x86-20140702\sdk\platform-tools>adb push 1.0.7
.zip /sdcard/1.0.7.zip
error: closed

D:\Android SDK\adt-bundle-windows-x86-20140702\sdk\platform-tools>

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

First, update adb.

Then use ls (in shell) to find the exact name of your SD card. Is it really /sdcard? Or is it something like /mnt/extSdCard or /storage/emulated/0?

PSCGOhio

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

What he's shown you is what we're up against - the chinese tablet is generic and rebarnded, but for some reason RCA/Voyager/ALCO Electronics has deemed it neccessary to lock the Recovery area to the point (so far) all we can do is sideload - NO shell access or even push/pull. I've been beating on this for weeks since ending up in a bootloop and so far no luck. Anything we try to upload in ADB/SD/Cache errors out like that, more than likely because the signature's not RCA's. And we can't find that sig, nor will RCA even acknowledge anything beyond 'send it back'. We pay the shipping, we wait 2 months if we're lucky and they just send another tablet out. So you could end up worse than the one you had! Mine's in great shape beyond the stupid bootloop issue, flashing it would do the trick but no one has the stock ROM out there and RCA won't give it up. I've gone all the way to Hong Kong and they won't even respond.

PSCGOhio

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Android SDK\adt-bundle-windows-x86-20140702\sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF sideload

D:\Android SDK\adt-bundle-windows-x86-20140702\sdk\platform-tools>adb push 1.0.7
.zip /sdcard/1.0.7.zip

D:\Android SDK\adt-bundle-windows-x86-20140702\sdk\platform-tools>

I see what you're seeing, and I'm using Win 8.1 even. So it's not the platform and our ADB's are up to date as I've tried several versions of it and they all do the same thing. Interestingly you're the first person to also show the 0123, others have their serial #'s, etc. showing. We may've done the same thing to cause this and it's blanked that out or something. Any ADB commands don't work, we've been factory locked out, and using any updates just errors out because they're updates and our core seems to be what's corrupted in the bootloader. We can't even get to the dalvik cache to flush that out, which could kick the error out of our way. But my research shows we're hitting instructions in the bootloader, not the ROM per se but the NVRAM copy and when the tablet tries to boot - it hits the error and instead of doing something intelligent, it just bootloops.