How to know if I am inside my friend whatsapp?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a friend John that I did not contact for a long time. We did exchanged contacts (handphone number) long time ago

I only use whatsapp recently.

1) If John is also using whatsapp, how do I know if John has deleted my contact?

2) If only I have John's contact in whatsapp but John did not have my contact in his whatsapp. When John is using whatsapp, will I see him appear online?

3) If only I have John's contact in whatsapp but John did not have my contact in his whatsapp. When John is using whatsapp, will John see me or notice me in whatsapp?

Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi ACSurfer,

1) You can't. As long as you have his number in your contact list it will appear on Whatsapp if he's number is active, but there's no way to know if you're in his contact list. Usually, though, if you can't see his status or picture, that means he doesn't have you in his list OR that you've spent a few weeks without contacting each other.
2) No. If he doesn't have you in his list, you will not see his status or profile picture until you send him a message and he replies. However, even if he does have you in his list, if his privacy settings are set to hide his current status (last seen), you will not see him as 'online'.
3)Nope. Unless he has you in his contact list or you've exchanged conversations (even if he didn't save your number) he will not see your online status or even have you on his contact list.

You can always message someone who doesn't have you in their contact lists (as long as they haven't blocked you) and they should be able to respond, even if they don't save your number.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi ACSurfer,

1) You can't. As long as you have his number in your contact list it will appear on Whatsapp if he's number is active, but there's no way to know if you're in his contact list. Usually, though, if you can't see his status or picture, that means he doesn't have you in his list OR that you've spent a few weeks without contacting each other.

2) No. If he doesn't have you in his list, you will not see his status or profile picture until you send him a message and he replies. However, even if he does have you in his list, if his privacy settings are set to hide his current status (last seen), you will not see him as 'online'.
A) What will I see if his number is not active?

B) From my own whatsapp, how to see the difference if John has blocked me in whatsapp, vs if John do not have me in his contacts?

3)Nope. Unless he has you in his contact list or you've exchanged conversations (even if he didn't save your number) he will not see your online status or even have you on his contact list.

You can always message someone who doesn't have you in their contact lists (as long as they haven't blocked you) and they should be able to respond, even if they don't save your number.

C) If only I have John's contact in whatsapp but John did not have my contact in his whatsapp, I have exchanged conversations with John on whatsapp, but he did not save my contact. After the whatsapp conversations session, when John is using whatsapp in future, will John see me in whatsapp?

D) If only I have John's contact in whatsapp but John did not have my contact in his whatsapp, I have exchanged conversations with John on whatsapp, but he did not save my contact. After the whatsapp conversations session, when I am using whatsapp in future, will I see John appear online in whatsapp?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
A) Nothing. If his number is not active on Whatsapp, he won't appear in your Whatsapp contact list at all.

B)You really can't. Being blocked is not something any app should advertise, really, and Whatsapp is no exception. If someone blocks you, you can't know if you have been blocked, all you'll see is that the message you sent never gets delivered (you'll see one check mark to note that it's been sent, but never get the double check mark that indicates the message has been delivered). Why not use this as indication? Well, because a message might not be delivered if the user is out of network or has no active connection, not necessarily that he's blocked you.

C) Yes, as long as he doesn't delete the conversation. If he deleted the conversation then those messages are lost, and so is your number if he didn't save it. However, as long as you're not blocked, you can always text him back and he'll get a new message from your number, he just won't see the name or picture, just the number until he replies.

D)Yes, and no. If the conversation happened recently, you will most likely still see his status (as long as he hasn't disabled that in HIS privacy settings), but after a period of inactivity with him, you'll go back to not seeing his updated status as he doesn't have you on his contact list; unfortunately, I don't know how long this period is, but I think I've had open sessions from unknown numbers for a month and can still see updated status and pictures.

Hope it helps :)

wrwolves

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Nice Q&A
that's exactly what I was looking for.
Still, my experience tells me that you cannot be totally sure about who can see what:
1) in my phonebook I have quite a few people with whom I have never chat with WA. I can see their status. Normal? Not really because ...
2) I have the very same result if I use a different and brand new WA accout (meaning associated with a different phone number). In this case it is totally impossible that my contacts have this number it on their phone.
3) it is true that if I block someone, my pic will not be seen by him but I am not that sure that he can see the time of my last connection

Last edited: