Switch from windows phone to Android?

andrphoid

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
New to the forum here and im currently on the windows phone platform. Just wondering if anyone here (im sure there's someone) has switched from wp8 or wp8.1 to android? Any regrets? Contract is up and im looking for a change. Thanks!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I've been an Android user, ever since I got interested in smart phones. I tried the entry level Lumia 520 running Windows Phone 8.1, but eventually moved back to Android.

Don't get me wrong Windows Phones are okay but they just didn't do for me, what Android could do i.e. video transcoding in the background, no expandable/interactive notifications, etc. And the apps are just terrible(many of them at least).,

Unless you like the live tiles, I'm pretty sure you won't miss anything from Windows Phone.

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Wp 8.1 is so smooth but slow... Everytime changing app to one another is wasting my time from 2 - 5 seconds depending on the light/heavy apps. It will have that "resuming..." animation.. Imagine how many times i'm changin apps a day.

On android let's say the cheap one # moto g changing app are instantly.

Sent from my phone with tapatalk

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Wp 8.1 is so smooth but slow... Everytime changing app to one another is wasting my time from 2 - 5 seconds depending on the light/heavy apps. It will have that "resuming..." animation.. Imagine how many times i'm changin apps a day.

On android let's say the cheap one # moto g changing app are instantly.

Just to be fair, the resuming usually only occurs on low end devices, the higher end ones are safe from it.

But nonetheless it is nothing compared to the fluidity of multitasking on Android, especially after Android 4.4 KitKat.

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Just to be fair, the resuming usually only occurs on low end devices, the higher end ones are safe from it.

But nonetheless it is nothing compared to the fluidity of multitasking on Android, especially after Android 4.4 KitKat.
Microsoft should fix that either by lowering their hardware price or fixing their os. I usually buy middle range phone of certain brand / os first before i jump to the higher one.

I they fix that i'll probably buy wp again as my backup phone. The first try only lasted me maybe 7 days before i dumped it.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft should fix that either by lowering their hardware price or fixing their os. I usually buy middle range phone of certain brand / os first before i jump to the higher one.

I they fix that i'll probably buy wp again as my backup phone. The first try only lasted me maybe 7 days before i dumped it.

Lol multitasking is probably at the bottom of the list of the things that they need to fix.

andrphoid

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
How similar and different ate the live tiles in comparison to widgets? I do like the live tiles concept but I heard widgets are like live tiles buy with functionality. Im not a real big app person...in looking for efficiency and customization. I feel both, WP and android are customizable, with android being more so than windows but I also feel windows is more efficient, as in pinning live tiles, receiving info from the live tiles, etc. Thanks again everyone.

anon6002755

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

I'll put a strong emphasis on the usually. I use a Lumia icon and have plenty of resuming. There shouldn't be a big learning curve.

Your options to customize will be much greater. Widgets are great. Like live tiles but more lively.

Also with the more efficiency part I dont really see a big difference on either. I have random battery drain issues on WP from rogue apps like I did on android. Also android has come along quite well.

I will be switching back to android fulltime this weekend when the note 4 comes in. I wont have any regrets at all. All of my Microsoft services that I use daily are available on android.

Last edited:

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Lol multitasking is probably at the bottom of the list of the things that they need to fix.
I dont know if this is sarcasm or what...
I use lumia 825 trying to compare it with android on similar price found a friend with moto g (yes moto g is cheaper) but the app changing is so much faster between 2 - 4 seconds. I use bbm all the time so i use this app to compare.

The second problem, i cant find yahoo messenger.. They probably need to fix the lack apps also.
How similar and different ate the live tiles in comparison to widgets? I do like the live tiles concept but I heard widgets are like live tiles buy with functionality. Im not a real big app person...in looking for efficiency and customization. I feel both, WP and android are customizable, with android being more so than windows but I also feel windows is more efficient, as in pinning live tiles, receiving info from the live tiles, etc. Thanks again everyone.

It similar but more live and customizable you can have player control, replying to a chat without having to open the chat app, sms, twitter timeline, facebook, etc

It depends on the app though. Some apps even have no widget at all.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh, so not all the apps have widget capabilities? What percentage of android apps have it?

It depends on the app itself, if you use Twitter, Facebook, Calendar or other apps similar, there will be a widget. If it is an app you expect a widget for, there will be a widget.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, a game isn't typically going to have a widget but basically every other app on my phone does.

The focus of widgets is different from my understanding of live tiles though. I haven't used Windows Phone, but in Windows 8 on tablets the live tiles seem to be something of a notification replacement for items where notifications aren't critical. Some Android widgets function that way, but they are more quick ways to interact with an application or view the information available in an application at a glance. For example, while the Mail live tile in Windows 8 shows you a count of unread e-mail, the Gmail widget actually shows me my inbox and allows me to scroll through it and select an e-mail or start a new e-mail. Wunderlist allows me to scroll through my different lists and check off items or go to a list to add a new item.The "notification" functionality of the live tiles is really managed through the Android notification drawer.

utopiate

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I had WP for 4 years from when they released WP7. I first had a Samsung Omnia 7 which I can honestly say was probably the best phone I'd ever had. That said the software couldn't be upgraded (7-8) which screwed many peeps including myself. I stuck with it and bought a HTC 8X which is a superb looking phone but very buggy. I enrolled in the dev preview and had 8.1 which eventually made it a bit better but at that point I had already decided to return to droid. One of my biggest problems was the fact they got rid of zune and replaced it with xbox music????? this drove me nuts as I had a phone with WP8.1 which ended up being an inferior experience to my omnia running v7.8

I'm now back on droid with the Note 4 and am so glad I have come back. Now, if I don't like something, I just change it. If your into customization as you said then you'll be very happy with droid ;)

WillGrey

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I just switched from a Lumia 920 to a Note 4 a few days ago and it's been a comfortable experience so far. :) It feels great in the hand and I'm personally enjoying how fast it is, and how the camera performs. Haven't had a chance to really explore everything just yet.

In terms of widgets vs live tiles: I always saw live tiles as not being that effective in conveying information, because you have no real control over when they flip. Most of the time, it's easier to just open the apps and see the information within the app rather than stare at the live tiles for ages waiting for them to flip.

Widgets are a lot more effective in conveying information. But it's not all that great either, because you need them to be big to convey information effectively, but sometimes you just want them small. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

anon6002755

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
On the front page of androidcentral there is an article about Samsungs handfree program on the S5. My biggest regret that i can think of now is how well windows phones work over bluetooth while driving. I'll miss being alerted, having my messages read to me if i want them to be, and being able to reply to them all hands free. I'm sure there is an app but wp8 implemented that feature exceptionally well.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
If the apps were there, I would likely be using a WP right now. But the apps aren't there. Moving to Android, the number of apps out there is awesome. I have been able to find almost everything I would want.

andrphoid

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Although Im not a big app person i have to agree, the quality of the apps on ios and android are better and have more features compared to WP.

andrphoid

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
One concern that I do have with Android is security issues, such as malware attacks....is that really a big problem? I've hears that one reason android isn't used in enterprises is bc of security issues. Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress