Can I get a kernal or custom rom suggestions?

aqeel abbas

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
kernal or custom rom issue

sorry to bother everyone, but i just unrooted my samsung galaxy s3 i9300 yesterday because i did not want it rooted, but then found out that the battery was draining, but when it was rooted it the battery was much better, i cat remember what kernal it was so could anyone suggest me what kernal that gives better life for my phone as ive read kernals and customs rom will improve battery life thanks

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: kernal or custom rom issue

Welcome to the forums. Do you remember what ROM you had? Most of the time, the kernels that come with those custom ROMs are better than stock.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: kernal or custom rom issue

ive read kernals and customs rom will improve battery life thanks
That's one of those "everyone knows it, but it's not true" things. Some ROMs are written to be faster, which reduces battery life. Some are written to conserve battery (which could mean a slower-running kernel, among other things). BTW, rooting has absolutely nothing to do with battery drain - it just allows apps to run as the administrator. Some apps can't do what they have to do if they run as a normal user.

First read Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries If you're like most people, you're probably charging when the phone gets near zero charge, which is killing the longevity of the battery. Constantly discharging until the phone turns off - at around 2% of charge (if you drain a lithium battery to 0, you have toxic waste, not a battery - since charging a fully discharged lithium battery can result in quite a large explosion, the battery disconnects from its terminals before it reaches zero charge) can give you a 6 month battery life. OTOH, my V551 original battery (from about 2004) still gives me almost full life. Charge at the 40%-60% point. If you need more life than that, buy another battery and switch them when the one in the phone gets down to 40%. (An S3 battery is less than $10 - look on Amazon.)

BTW, speed and battery life (time between charges) are a lever balanced on a point - raise one and you lower the other. The faster you run the CPU, the more current it uses. Faster and longer time between charges is like dry liquid water.

If you need REALLY long time between charges and you use the phone a lot, get a huge external battery. There are external batteries that have 10 times the capacity of the S3 internal one.

You might also want to run Greenify and hibernate all the apps that don't have to run by themselves (like email and phone, to receive incoming stuff as it happens, alarms, etc.) That can save a lot of battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad