Why aren't I getting App update notifications on my Samsung Proclaim?

msb3200

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Not getting App update notifications on my Samsung Proclaim

Over the past few days, I have not received any application update notifications for Apps installed from the Google Play Store. In the past, I've gotten a few of these a day. If I go into the Play Store App on the phone, under My Apps it shows them all up to date.

Under settings in Play Store I have Notifications checked, and Auto-update Apps has "Do Not auto-update" checked.

Under Accounts & Sync, I have both Background data and Auto-synch checked. And under accounts, I do have Synch App Data checked (for a while I had Synch off do to battery issues, but it's been back on for 3-4 days).

I am able to install Apps from the Play Store without issue, I'm just not getting those notifications that an update is available any more. As annoying as they are, I want to be sure my Apps are up to date. Any ideas? Thanks.

(Samsung Proclaim Android 2.6.35)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Not getting App update notifications on my Samsung Proclaim

Welcome to Android Central! Sometimes the notifications lag. How long are you waiting to see if they show up? Try this experiment--keep checking Google Play Store for updates, and if you see one that didn't trigger a notification, don't update the app. Wait a day or two to see if or when you get a notification.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Remember, some apps don't get updated very often. Some are abandoned by the developer and are never updated. (Some are written so well that they only need minor updates for major Android updates - like from version 4 to version 5 because the whole UI has been changed.) If you install just the right (wrong?) combination of apps, you'll never get an update notice.

msb3200

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

I was getting update notifications just about every day for one app or another. I haven't gotten ANY notifications since probably last Wed or Thu. None of my apps are auto-update, so if I don't get a notification, I assume there wasn't an update. But it just seems odd that I was getting multiple updates a day (actually rather annoying) and now none in days. I guess I can scan all the apps and check the Play Store (I assume the date there would be the last update).

msb3200

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

It looks as though I am getting updates (e.g. the Google App updated today, 10/22) but the thing is, I have Auto Update off and I have Notification on. So why would these be updating on there own? Is Play Store Services circumventing me?

Of course this morning I turned Wireless off when I left the house (to save battery) and when I got home this afternoon, it appears to have turned on by itself.

And what's the deal with the Wireless Icon on that toolbar - used to work great, now it's unresponsive most of the time. I need to go into settings now to turn wireless off/on - maybe it's time for an Iphone ;)

msb3200

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Finally!!! I just got notifications for update for CNN, Google Translate, KickBack and SoundBack (Don't know what the last two are, but Google is sending them). Anyway, Notifications are working again.

Thanks.