Would like to buy a Galaxy S4, but not sure how to activate it. Any Insight?!?!?!?!

AirGordon

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade my current phone. I currently have a Galaxy S3 from Sprint and would like to go to a S4. I am eligible for an upgrade through Sprint but my contract doesn't end until February 2015. I don't wanna get stuck into another contract with Sprint because I am looking to change service. I would like to buy a S4 online from say, for example, EBay or Craigslist, but not sure if I can activate with my Sprint account. Do I need an "Unlocked" phone?? Can I just buy a new S4 from someone and activate my account?? Not sure what to do ... Can someone give me some insight how this works please... Thanks!!!!

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade my current phone. I currently have a Galaxy S3 from Sprint and would like to go to a S4. I am eligible for an upgrade through Sprint but my contract doesn't end until February 2015. I don't wanna get stuck into another contract with Sprint because I am looking to change service. I would like to buy a S4 online from say, for example, EBay or Craigslist, but not sure if I can activate with my Sprint account. Do I need an "Unlocked" phone?? Can I just buy a new S4 from someone and activate my account?? Not sure what to do ... Can someone give me some insight how this works please... Thanks!!!!

Check this website out. www.swappa.com
What provider are you thinking of going too? If T-Mobile I think they will buy out your contract. Just a thought

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) You need to buy a Sprint S4. You don't need to buy it from Sprint, but it has to be a Sprint S4.

2) You won't be able to use it on any other carrier. Verizon won't accept it, and AT&T and TMobile use different technology.

3) If you still want to do it, buy a Sprint S4, call them (or go to a store, if you like dealing with droids who know less than you do) and ask them to switch your account to the ESN of the new phone.

If I were you, I'd wait until February, then switch carriers. (You can buy a phone and get service from a carrier without going into a contract - but the phone has to be for that carrier or, if it's GSM [AT&T, TMobile or one of their network operators], unlocked.) (If it's something like Straight Talk, their AT&T SIM will work in an AT&T phone and their TMobile SIM will work in a TMobile phone.)

The first thing to decide is which carrier gives you the best coverage where you need coverage. 30GB/month for $30 is useless if you don't have any coverage at home, school or work. (The S4 is available for all carriers in the US. There's a different model number for each one.)

Gobucks1234

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I have been using the search function in the forums and the How-To guides and I can't seem to find an answer basically to the OP's original question. That is, how do we move between devices and what questions do we need to ask ourselves to result in a functioning device? This would be an excellent How To Guide.

For instance, I have an S4 mini on sprint and it has a sim card. I have thought about getting a Tablet (like galaxy tab 3 or Nexus 7) or whatever. Some tablets say WiFi Only, Others say WiFi LTE advertised on Amazon. If it has LTE, it seems like I should be able to get that tablet and put my Sim card in the Tablet to use mobile data, but I don't think that is actually how it works. It seems like there are 4 or 5 criteria that need to be met. First, Are both devices on the same type of technology (hardware in device) CDMA Vs GSM. Two, does the Carrier Lock the device(For instance for sprint, you have to buy a sprint phone or tablet, it specifically needs to state it is sprint compatible for it to work but for ATT it seems they are flexible, and you don't need a device specifically related to ATT, it just needs the right hardware). Furthermore, even if I get a sprint tablet, will my sim card automatically work in the tablet or do I need to go to sprint and tell them I want to add a device (i.e. does the carrier even allow you to swap the sim card).

There are probably more questions that need to be answered before ensuring sim swappability between devices.