Why isn't my Nebula Tablet starting?

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
"Nebula" Tablet no longer starting

My son's tablet will no longer start up. It is a generic Chinese tablet, but I have the box, manual etc to provide what limited info there is, if needed.

The box has "Nebula 1701" on it and has a picture of the Starship Enterprise :).

Some of the Spec:

7 Inch
800x480 display
Dual Core 1.6Ghz
512MB DDR3
Mail-400 GPU

The problem is when the tablet is turned on, it shows the Nebula splash screen as always but instead of proceeding to the Android logo and then the desktop, it just shows the Nebula logo forever. We left it to fully discharge on that screen and it never proceeded further. It will also not turn off in this state, if I hold the power button for about 10 seconds the screen goes off, but when I release it, it comes back on immediately, back at the Nebula logo.

If I plug it into the mains, holding the power button will turn it off and I can see the charging icon as normal, but if you turn it on, again, it will hang.

The machine only has 3 buttons - standby, vol + and vol - and I have tried starting it with every permutation possible and nothing is any different. I am officially out of ideas :)

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Nebula" Tablet no longer starting

Welcome to Android Central! I'm afraid you may simply be out of luck. Budget off-brand devices like these are notorious for defective hardware or firmware, as well as minimal to no support. You've already tried what I would have suggested--i.e., trying to boot into Recovery Mode using some combination of the various buttons.

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the reply B. Diddy, I Was afraid someone was going to say that. There is, after all, only so much one can do with three buttons :)

I think it's time we bought him a reputable brand one. Have a great day.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The only other thing I can think of is to remove the SD card and reboot, in case the SD is corrupt and really causing problems.

chris chesham

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site

On the top of the tablet there should be a tiny hole .while its powered up on battery.that is NOT plugged in the mains
Push in a sewing needle point first ,you should feel a click.this resets things without any loss of things but clears down things.