How do I encrypt my SD Card?

sdtheflyest

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Problems with Encrypting SD Card

Phone: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
Android: 4.4.2
SD Card: SAMSUNG Plus 32GB Micro SDHC Class 10 Flash Card Model MB-MPBGC/AM

Problem: I cannot seem to encrypt my SD card. If I format the card and have 0 files on it, and then start the encryption process, it will either say "Encrypting SD card..." with no progress meter, or "Encrypting SD card: 0%". It will just stay at 0% forever.

If I put files on the card and then start the encryption process, the progress meter will reach either 65% or 99%, and then be stuck there forever. I've left the phone on for 2 full days on my charger while it was at 99%, and it just remained stuck and never finished.

For reference, I'm using "Settings > More > Security > Encrypt external SD card". I've tried factory resetting my phone, doesn't make a difference. The SD card works fine without encryption, both on the phone and in Windows. I've done a chkdsk on it and the card was fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Problems with Encrypting SD Card

Is your lockscreen locked with a password? If not, the SD card won't encrypt. (You should be given that message as soon as you try to encrypt it.)

A 32GB card should take about 90 minutes to encrypt, assuming that there's nothing wrong with the card. Try putting it into a Windows computer and running chkdsk <drive letter:> /r on it.

sdtheflyest

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

It is indeed locked with a password (6+ characters, including a number). I've ran chkdsk and there are no issues with the card.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Then I'm at a loss, unless the phone is bad. (Or someone else has an idea.)

sdtheflyest

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

Screenshot_2014-10-27-05-50-27.jpg
Screenshot of it sitting at 99%

Edit: I'm leaning towards it being an issue with the phone. I just tried encrypting a 2GB microSD card I had laying around, and it gets stuck at the same percentages under the same circumstances as my 32GB.