How do I delete residual memory?

kyle smith10

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
how to delete residual memory

after i uninstalled a app on my samsung infuse 4g (root runnin 4.2.1) the app manager still registers the app data in my phone but it is uninstalled so the data is just wasting memory. how do i delete this memory, i\'ve tried reinstalling and uninstalling it againbut the data wont be deleted

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: how to delete residual memory

You can try to find the app's folder using the stock File Manager or if you install ES File Explorer, it has the option to automatically delete these folders when you uninstall an app. Quite handy.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

You can try to find the app's folder using the stock File Manager or if you install ES File Explorer, it has the option to automatically delete these folders when you uninstall an app. Quite handy.

This. Some apps don't uninstall everything correctly and you will need to manually delete the remaining files.

Just for future reference, what you're talking about is storage space, not memory. When I first read that you were wanting to clear memory, I thought you were talking about RAM until I read the rest. The reason I bring this up is in case you start looking for apps to help your issue and see the various memory optimizer apps available. Those claim to clear up memory (RAM) to speed up your phone, but are actually harmful to overall performance. For more info on that aspect:

http://m.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The "residual memory" is probably in /data/data/<some folder named for the app or the developer>. Since you can't see past /data unless you root the phone, you'll have to root it, then look for that folder. Just in case you got the wrong one, don't delete it, rename it - add .bak to the right end of the name. If the phone keeps working for a week or so, delete that folder - it's the right one. If things start acting funny, rename it again - remove the .bak. You picked a folder that's needed by some app you still use.

(To get to /data, you can use ES File Explorer. Just press the / at the top (it should start with / sdcard) and look for a folder named data. Press the menu. Scroll down to Root Explorer and turn it on. Press back to get rid of the menu. Press the data folder, scroll down to the data folder in there and press it and start looking for your uninstalled app's folder. To rename it, long-press it. A line of checkboxes will show up at the right, with that folder's box checked. Choose Rename from the bottom of the screen.)

kyle smith10

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

Thanks i was able to free up most of the storage used but it is still showing up on my app manager but isn't using near as much as before

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci