My phone keeps forgetting my custom set ringtone

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I normally turn my phone off every night. Sometimes - though not all - my phone will forget my custom set ringtone for calls.

since ive been using handcent for texts - this one hasnt been forgotten. But back when i was using factory messaging, both the messaging notification and ringtone would get forgotten.

It seems to have nothing to do with turning on/off, as it happens sometimes, but not *every* time.

Im running stock samsung ICS 4.0.4

Any ideas? Is there an app that will allow me to change the ringtones through it, so that it will remember my tones? I keep getting confused as my phone makes noises that i didnt tell it to make - i am unsure if it is my phone when in public. it just defaults to "unknown ringtone"

help?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is your ringtone by any chance on the SD Card? If the SD Card for some reason was removed (sometimes if it's failing, and in my experience with Samsung devices, it does, the card can unmount/remount itself without you noticing) it may be causing the 'unknown ringtone' error.

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Is your ringtone by any chance on the SD Card? If the SD Card for some reason was removed (sometimes if it's failing, and in my experience with Samsung devices, it does, the card can unmount/remount itself without you noticing) it may be causing the 'unknown ringtone' error.

It is, but so are all of my texting notifications.

The only time i notice any sd card activities is when I actually am watching my phone turn on or off. Does it have to do with how quickly i unlock the phone and start using it when turned on? Hmm...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I think it is what I experienced before. Your card may be randomly unmounting/remounting itself. If this is the case, I hope you're not storing camera pictures there or at least are doing Cloud or local backups regularly; that's when my card started to fail and eventually get fried.

Try saving just that one ringtone to your local storage and test for a few days. If the SD Card is to blame, you shouldn't see the issue happen again.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513