Help me Decide which Device to get

Gerane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I will finally be able to make the switch to android in February. Finally will be out of my 2 year contract.

I have been wanting an android since the G1, and finally will be making the switch. I am trying to stay on a budget, and cricket is the way to go for me right now.

I am trying to decide between the Huawei Ascend and buying a used Droid and flashing it to cricket. There are ups and downs to both that have me stumped. I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have done similar. I am also considering the Zio, but i'll have to research it a bit more. Running 1.6 worries me.

Some of the things i'm having a hard time with are as follows:

Ascend
Pros
Brand New
Great price
Automatically works on Cricket

Cons
haven't been able to find any roms etc.
This could possibly mean no 2.2
from what ive heard its cheaper feeling.

Droid
Pros
The price has dropped for a used device. Have been seeing them for around 150
has a huge following for roms etc
Coolness of it being a droid

Cons
I have to flash it to work on cricket
its used, what if it doesnt work properly or dies because of its age shortly after i buy it.

I'm stuck in the middle where i'm currently sitting. I was hoping to get some advice from people who have either. I'm sure i'm forgetting some factors that could really play a part in my decision.

also, on a side note... I'm decently knowledgeable with the technical aspects of rooting etc. I have yet to own a Droid, but have jailbroken and modified my ipod touch, modded xboxs and the like. I catch on quick and have always naturally bee good with these types of things. So, i'm pretty positive I wouldn't have much problem flashing the droid to fully work on cricket without having to pay someone

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, you've selected your carrier and made your list so you're in better shape than most that post threads like this. Try prioritizing your list. I mean, how important is the lack of warranty/insurance (keep in mind that insurance can be obtained from other sources) if you go with the Droid? Which items are deal-breakers? Which items are nice to have?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Since you won't be on contract, I assume you'll be able to buy a new phone whenever you want, so being stuck with one for a long time isn't a problem. If you can deal with the age of the Droid, I would go with that. It will get OS upgrades (through custom ROMs of course) that the Ascend will never sniff. The Droid probably has the biggest dev following other than the Nexus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol