iPhone 4 user looking at possible switch

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I am considering making a switch from the iPhone 4 to an android device. I love to listen music on the iPhone so that's probably the #1 need as well as great apps and great signal strength and call quality. I am also willing to change carriers to get it. Currently, I am on at&t but would definitely consider switching to Verizon (T-Mo and sprint are out as there is poor reception around here)... What devices would you guys, the android pros, recommend??

I am not into rooting or anything like that....

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
There are too many choices, so a lot just comes down to what you want. There are good choices on both carriers.
AT&T-Aria (works great for me, gets better signal than any phone I've owned), Captivate, possibly the Bravo (yet to see how it is)
Verizon-any DROID branded phone, Fascinate, Continuum

If you can, I would wait til the beginning of next year, since there's about to be a bunch of big phone announcements.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you are looking for power, the Captivate on AT&T and the Droid X and Fascinate on Verizon are all great phones.

And there are always going to be big phone announcements on the horizon, Verizon in particular is supposed to be showing off their LTE enabled lineup at CES. If you don't care about LTE, I would say pull the trigger now as the Galaxy S line of phones are great all-around along with Verizon's other high end stuff.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Coming from the iPhone 4, you will probably be disappointed with any screen except those on the Captivate on ATT and the Fascinate or Continuum on Verizon. As you already know, the screen DOES matter.

Since you are on a good phone now though, were I in your shoes, I would wait for Verizon to launch their 4g and see what is available after that. It may only be a couple weeks away, and maybe a couple months to have a good selection of phones for LTE. There may be something coming shortly that will float your boat... and it is not like you are suffering with what you have :). Stick to the high end phones though, or you will be underwhelmed coming from your phone.

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm..it depends on what you are looking for if u wanna stay with at&t and im guessing u want high end go with the captivate Umm if u are looking to switch to verizon and cant wait till Q1 of 2011 go with a droid x or fascinate for more power...If you are looking for something with a good keyboard on verizon i suggest the DRIOD PRO but mind you the screen is nowhere as nice as the iphone 4 BUT again i highly suggest you wait till Q1 cause theres gonna be some superphones just barfed up by all the carriers

Joey the Squid

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm a former iPhone user (original, 3gs) and longtime AT&T user (10+ years) that recently switched to Android on Sprint. My best advice is to get very familiar with the phone you're selecting as so you're sure that it meets your needs. Unlike the iPhone, Android devices come in a variety of different hardware types running different software versions and using different launchers. The naysayers call this fragmentation, the fans call it choice. It my opinion, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

A good example of this was that I was interested in the Samsung Epic but really liked the weather/clock widget on the Evo that my wife picked out. Being an iPhone user, I assumed that the widget would also work on the Samung. Well, it won't. Likewise the interfaces and primary apps (contacts, phone, etc.) on the two devices are different enough to warrant some confusion. They actually even use different web browsers.

In the end, we purchased the two Evos and we're reasonably happy. I wouldn't say they're nearly as easy to use as the iPhone and they have many, many quirks, but they also offer some advantages. Again, the best advice I can give is to just do your research firsthand. ;)

Last edited:

Joey the Squid

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
By the way, not to ramble on here, but my biggest issues are:

1. Apps and widgets don't always work from device to device. I've also got an Archos 70 and it's annoying that it uses different software than my Evo (even a different OS version!).

2. Contacts are sorted alphabetically by First name. This is on my Evo and Archos so I can't speak for other devices but it's very annoying for business.

3. Facebook contacts are merged into your business contacts (Evo) unless you disable Facebook.

4. The Evo comes with lots of built in junk apps (NASCAR, Football, etc.) that can't be turned off.

5. The phone dialer kind of sucks (Evo) but at least it can be replaced. Even still, I haven't found anything as nice as the iPhone's dialer.

6. My Evo randomly slows down now and again and in general isn't as "smooth" as my 3gs.

beachmaverick82

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Custom!

android has soooo much customization involved that in my opinion it blows i phone out of the water. apple has such a closed market that it is so unreal. apple for sum reason hates fun....and orphans haha jk but ya, research the customization abilities of android devices and the little things that make android what it is

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
By the way, not to ramble on here, but my biggest issues are:

1. Apps and widgets don't always work from device to device. I've also got an Archos 70 and it's annoying that it uses different software than my Evo (even a different OS version!).

2. Contacts are sorted alphabetically by First name. This is on my Evo and Archos so I can't speak for other devices but it's very annoying for business.

3. Facebook contacts are merged into your business contacts (Evo) unless you disable Facebook.

4. The Evo comes with lots of built in junk apps (NASCAR, Football, etc.) that can't be turned off.

5. The phone dialer kind of sucks (Evo) but at least it can be replaced. Even still, I haven't found anything as nice as the iPhone's dialer.

6. My Evo randomly slows down now and again and in general isn't as "smooth" as my 3gs.

If youre willing, ALL of those issues you have named can be solved with rooting, and useing a custom ROM, which i see as another advantage of android over apple products.

And, the reason that certain devices are running different OS versions is because of the manufacture/carriers fault, it is up to them. Android is open source, therefore free for them to use on their devices, there is no Android police making them update haha.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie