How do I use an external Video Player for any App?

Kurt Quist

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
How to Use an External Video Player for any App

I recently purchased a Google Chromecast and I love it. It is a great tool, but I'm still seeking more bang for my buck.
I installed the Avia app which gives you more use with the chromecast. One thing I found with Avia is that I can stream a video on chromecast, but still use my phone without interrupting the stream. Just like how you can chromecast youtube, netflix, etc. while still being able to use your phone without interrupting the video. Avia works with any app that gives you the option to use an External player. (when you click on the video it says "complete action using" with Avia as an option.)
Some apps however only allow you to use the internal media player that comes with the app which prevents me from using it with Avia/chromecast.

I am seeking to be able to do this with any media app; however, I am specifically looking to use it with my NBA gametime app.

Just some notes: I have the ability to mirror my phone onto chromecast, but the quality is lower and this prevents me from being able to use my phone without interrupting the video.
I am using a rooted LG G2 on sprint Android 4.4.4 running Cyanogenmod.

Thanks for any help!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to Use an External Video Player for any App

Apps like that don't use external video because they usually require subscriptions or are just trying to tie their content to their own apps for advertising purposes. Facebook recently started doing this (before, the videos would play using the stock player...now, it's forced to internal one). There's no way of doing what you want unless the app is coded for it.

And in the case of Chromecast, your only options are that either the app supports Chromecasting or screen mirroring.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to Use an External Video Player for any App

Downside of Screen Mirroring is that you need to have the phone playing whatever you want to mirror. In proper Chromecasting apps, the Chromecast is actually the one doing all the heavy lifting, so you're free to use your phone for anything else while you stream the content.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair