How do I move my music and photos onto my sd card, my phone keeps backing out when I try?

carrie_spring

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
How do I move my music and photos onto my sd card, my phone keeps backing out when I try.

I bought a new sd card for my galaxy s5 today. When I try to move my pics and music over to it, my phone reverts to the previous screen without copying my stuff. Ive read some of the forums on here on how to move my stuff but everytime I do it my phone just backs out. Im not sure what Im doing wrong. The card I got was a SanDisk 128 GB microSDHC UHS-1. Ive moved over apps with no problem but I just cant get these other things. Any advice?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I move my music and photos onto my sd card, my phone keeps backing out when I try.

Welcome to Android Central! Which app are you using to move files? MyFiles?

carrie_spring

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: How do I move my music and photos onto my sd card, my phone keeps backing out when I try.

Yes...Thats what another forum wrote to use was My files. My phone has done this before though when trying to copy info from one place to another when not even dealing with the sd card. Ive restarted hoping it would clear out some junk and start afresh or whatever it does when you reboot :) but to no avail. Is there another app I should be using?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

ES File Explorer is generally well-regarded, so you could give that a try.

Also see what happens if you wipe the system cache partition, which won't erase any personal data. This can sometimes help with various odd issues. Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 5 | T-Mobile Support

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

The first thing you need to do is open the SD card in My Files and tap the 3 dots then choose create new folder and name it music or whatever you want it to be named. Next reopen the SD card and see if there is a folder named DCIM. If not close My Files and open the camera app then settings (top left). scroll down to storage location and pick memory card then take a random picture. This will create the DCIM folder and all pictures taken from now on will automatically be sent to this folder instead of internal memory.

Now to move the photos. In My Files open device storage and find the photos you want to move then tap the 3 dots and then select. Checkmark all photos you want to move and again tap the 3 dots and pick move. Open the SD card and open the DCIM folder and pick move here in the upper right.

Next open device storage and find the music files. Tap the 3 dots again and choose select then checkmark all the music files you want to move. Next tap the 3 dots again and pick move. Now choose the SD card and open the folder and tap move here at the top right.

carrie_spring

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

I tried ES Files and at least it didn't just blank out on me like My Files so I do know that it will work once I figure all this out but it was telling me that my phone needed to be rooted in order to write to this sd card. Such as pictures and music. Seems quite odd to me that they would make more storage for one to purchase but than you cant even use it without doing something that the phone companies are trying to block you from doing. Am I confused on this? I try to do a lot of reading and figure things out on my own but this is one thing that's got me perplexed. Also You were talking about wiping the system cache I would assume that's the same process with a Verizon phone. I ask because I tried it and I couldn't get the system restore screen to come up. I appreciate all of your help. Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

SD card restrictions that started with KitKat mean that an app needs to have specific permissions to access the card. My understanding is that some file managers have access while others don't--but I also thought that ES File Explorer was able to access the SD. I don't have a KitKat device with and SD card, so unfortunately I can't test it out.

The wipe cache procedure ought to work regardless of the carrier. But here's the support page from Verizon: Wipe Cache Partition Samsung Galaxy S 5 | Verizon Wireless

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca