Selling an android phone => Need help ... Did a factory reset- not secure enough?

Varsonic

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm about to sell my device online and I have a few questions in concerning to security and encryption.

I did a factory reset on the phone, erasing all data and before I created my ad to sell my cell-phone online I did a little research to make sure their is no way for this data to be recovered.
I ended up learning that you are suppose to encrypt the device and then do a factory reset to ensure your data will not be recoverable.

I've already done a factory reset , I'm wondering what happens if i were to encrpyt the device now that it has empty files and just a factory-reset phone and re-did another factory reset?

Basically,

(HTC M8 )Android Phone
=> Lots of personal files

=> Did a factory reset

=> Googled to make sure theirs no way for someone to recover my data
=> Learn about encrypting a phone before doing a factory reset
=> I've already done the factory reset and I have yet to encrypt the phone.
I'm wondering what are the steps to ensure that my previous factory reset data is not recoverable?

What are the steps I have to take to just make sure no one can recover my data =>
E.G my saved passwords, banking information that had gotten "wiped" from my factory reset from the settings.

Thanks,

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Perform a factory reset is all that you'll need. Make sure to so format the SD card (internal) so you don't leave any information on it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Rather than formatting (which in solid state devices, is usually just deletion of all metadata, but not any data), store all sorts of junk files until you run out of storage, then do a factory reset. so if anyone does recover the memory chips themselves, all they'll get is junk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith