How do I remove an "Empty" folder on my home screen?

TGRHavoc

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I recently turned on my android device and found that there was a folder on my home screen named "Free Apps". I tried to remove this folder by dragging and dropping it into the trash icon that appears when you hold down an icon on the screen.
Doing this caused a prompted to appear at the bottom of the screen saying "Unable to remove empty folder". My device is rooted (Don't know if this is the cause of the problem or if it can help with it) and I don't know what I can do to remove this annoying folder. Any help would be much appreciated.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
That's odd. from the unremovability and the "free apps" name, it sounds like a bit of malware. Are you checked to allow non-Google Play apps? Try putting something in the folder then removing it.

I'd also look through the file manager to see if there's anything fishy installed, and consider a malware sweep with something like Avast.

TGRHavoc

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, it turned out that an app on the device "COOEE MSLauncher" was installing the mentioned files. Upon doing a scan with Avast I found that the mentioned app is malicious, should I uninstall it? I want to get other opinions as this app is responsible for things like my background image, folder structures etc.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, at least you found the cause - as to whether and why you need it versus uninstalling it, I can't make that call. But I'm a no root, no sideload, take no chances kind of user.