How to transfer files via USB between Android 4.4 and Windows XP?

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
We had no trouble getting a Windows 7 computer to recognize our new Droid Turbos, but the XP machine doesn't. I know this question has been asked before, but I've read about five different conflicting answers in the search results and am not in a mood to try them all blindly (you need drivers from where?, you need Media Player 11, you don't, you need to enable USB debugging, you don't, etc).

Can anyone explain, straightforwardly and in this one place, exactly how to get WinXP to recognize the phone as a device or drive that will come up in Explorer for file access? (And no I'm not interested in hearing about how else you prefer to do it, Dropbox etc)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You need a Windows XP driver for the particular phone installed on the Windows computer. For most phones you won't find one.

Therefore ...

Your best bet is wifi file transfer. WiFi File Transfer works nicely. You run it in the phone and run a web browser on the computer. It would work with Windows 3.1 if you still had a computer running it.

It's not how else I'd prefer to do it, it's how you need a file that's probably not available - the Windows XP driver for your particular phone. (Windows XP and Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 use totally different driver schemes, so a Windows 7 driver, which is what you'll find won't install on Windows XP. And most phone manufacturers won't write drivers for an operating system that was replaced over 4 years ago. If someone has an XP driver for your brand of phone, you could try it, but there's no guarantee that it'll work with your phone, since some manufacturers make drivers specific to the model or line.)

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Rukbat: Thanks for explaining that so clearly.

colyn1353: If you didn't have equine issues yourself you'd have noticed that I had googled... just didn't know specifically enough what for. But thanks for that link too.

By the way, the drivers (good for XP SP3 and up) can be downloaded directly from Motorola, just google "Motorola Device Manager". (The system won't let me include a link here because I don't have 10 posts yet.)

Last edited:

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
colyn1353: If you didn't have equine issues yourself you'd have noticed that I had googled... just didn't know specifically enough what for. But thanks for that link too.

Where did you mention you had googled? You simply said search results. This forum has a search the forum function..

By the way, the drivers (good for XP SP3 and up) can be downloaded directly from Motorola, just google "Motorola Device Manager". (The system won't let me include a link here because I don't have 10 posts yet.)

Then why did you bother to post here if you already had the location of what you needed??

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Then why did you bother to post here if you already had the location of what you needed??

Just relax. Breathe. As many times as necessary. I didn't already have that result, your link led me to it and I posted it for anyone who would prefer to download directly from Motorola. (Observe the note: "edited to add link info")

One last detail. Even with the drivers installed the phone will open up showing only one small directory with annoying software I didn't want to install. To get around this, go to Settings > Storage > Menu > USB and set "Software Installation" to OFF. Then the phone can be opened as a device (not a drive!) in Explorer, with the full directory structure visible.

larryowen

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I found a solution to my issue with Windows XP and file transfers to Droid Turbo
Yes, I had to install Motorola Device Manager, but even when i did, that was not enough. I read online (somewhere) that you need to install Microsoft Media Player 11. After doing that, i could see the phone as a device, and was able to copy folders, files, create new folders and delete folders on the turbo.

this is just what i needed to do.
i installed several apps, and was disappointed by each one. One app let me copy certain kinds of files (jpgs, or videos), but not others. another app let me copy files BUT NOT FOLDERS. (that would cost $1.99 per month).
what i was looking for was to use USB cable to have the phone appear as another folder that i could use with Windows explorer like any other windows folder.

i understand that support for XP is over now, but it shouldnt mean the functionality should just fall away. there is something about the use of microsoft media player 11 (which i dont even use for anything media related) that allows xp to "see" the phone as an MTP media device.

now im a happy camper.

PhatRob

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Just relax. Breathe. As many times as necessary. I didn't already have that result, your link led me to it and I posted it for anyone who would prefer to download directly from Motorola. (Observe the note: "edited to add link info")

One last detail. Even with the drivers installed the phone will open up showing only one small directory with annoying software I didn't want to install. To get around this, go to Settings > Storage > Menu > USB and set "Software Installation" to OFF. Then the phone can be opened as a device (not a drive!) in Explorer, with the full directory structure visible.

You just made my day, sir...I was ready to take this thing back to the store!!