Why am I not able to Store Google Contacts?

dotcomUNDERGROUND

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Store to Google Contacts Not Available

The option to save a contact to Gamil/Google Contacts is not available on the People/Contact app on the phone.
Screenshot: i.imgur.com/G9z5WUT.jpg

Google Contacts also does not show up in the phone. I do have a Google Account added. The sync appears to complete successfully and contacts are in "My Contacts" on Google Contact/Gmail. I do have "Show All Contacts" selected in the People/Contact app but only sim contacts are shown there.
Screenshot: i.imgur.com/JxoAxLh.jpg

If I tap on “Add new account” in “Store Contact to”, I believe it brings up the add exchange account, which doesn’t work anyways.
Screenshot: i.imgur.com/sI58G3k.jpg

I have tried to remove - re add the google contact and factory reset the phone several times with no luck. Also tried adding another google account and it acted same for it. Note that the phone does not present any setup wizard after a factory reset. I have to go to settings to add the google account manually.

Here is my phone info:
Android 4.4.2
Brand: Walton
Model: Primo EF2
(It's a local brand in Bangladesh. They basically re-brand sets from Chaina)
About Phone Screen: i.imgur.com/65rY3Iq.png

How can I fix the issue and properly sync the contacts with google contact? Thanks in advance.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Store to Google Contacts Not Available

It seems odd that even with your Google info in the device that it wouldn't sync. It's also interesting that you are not presented with a setup wizard however I am not familiar with that brand or model, so it's hard to say. What I would check would be the following, Does your Play Store account work? I mean can you go to the PS and see the apps you've downloaded, currently and previously? If that is working then your device is obviously syncing to Google. If you can only see items that are currently installed then there may be an issue with your Google account and you can go online with a pc or other device and look at your Google account for issues. You can also see your contacts there and should be able to push them to your device. If you've had other android devices there should also be a list of which device you want to push items to, check that list for your new device. If your new device isn't listed there that could mean that it is having issues syncing your account. That takes me back to the device. Most devices by default assume you want everything to sync and if you don't you have to elect that option. Check your sync settings and see if you are set to sync with Google. Also check if your Auto sync is set to on. Regardless of whether it's on or not it should still sync if you open an app.

If your PS account works, you don't find any issues with your Google account online, your new device is listed online, and your sync settings are correct, I'm kind of at a loss. I would talk to someone I knew with the same device or call the tech center for help. The only other thing I could think of would be that you have no connection to the internet, either through carrier data or WiFi, and I'm sure you would have checked that before anything else. Not getting the setup wizard when doing an FR would lead me to asking the following questions; Did you buy the phone new or used? If used, did the user before you root the device? You should be able to tell this by holding down on the vol rocker and starting the phone. At the top of the screen it will usually say "Unlocked" "Locked" or "Tampered". Tampered or unlocked usually indicate that something has happened to the phone at one time or another. Locked should indicate that the device is still OEM.

Post back anything that you find.

dotcomUNDERGROUND

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I can do see my presently and previously installed apps listed there. Clicking "install" button does show up my phone listed there.

This is a new phone purchased directly from dealer last week. I went to their customer service today and they said "Google Contact Sync is not available in this phone model".

They said some of their models including this one does not support Google Contact Sync and it's my fault that I did not ask them if this feature works on this phone or not. Are you (or anyone) aware of any Android 4.4 phone in the world that does not support Google Contact Sync even though Play Store is pre-installed?

Anyways, since they wont do anything about it, can you suggest me anything that might fix the issue?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. There is probably an app that will sync you. At first glance contacts + looks promising.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Are there any other Google apps that don't sync? What about Google Calendar?

It sounds like it may just be some weird restriction based on the manufacturer or the region.

dotcomUNDERGROUND

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

Finally got to fix the issue. Google Contacts Sync was missing on the system. I have installed the .apk from gapps packages and sync is working fine now.

Thanks everyone for your time!