HTC Eris (rooted 2.1) SD Card Error!

jtoland2

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
ANY help with this problem would be very appreciated!

This morning I awoke to a "SD Card Removed" notification on my HTC Eris. I popped out the card and put it back in, assuming, at the time, that it'd just gotten "knocked loose" somehow and this would fix it. It did not. Instead, I got the error "SD Card Blank or Unknown Filesystem". This was quite bad. After many a trial-and-error, I gave up and just resigned to reformatting the card (hoping I could actually recover lost data still using a recovery application on my PC). When I tried to format it using the Eris, nothing happens...at all. When I put the card into my PC, it never loads up. My PC says to "Insert a drive" or whatever because it simply doesn't see the card at all. I've already factory reset my phone thinking that might help it to read the card somehow, but of course it did not. At this point, I just want the card to be readable again. Formatting it would be ideal (well, second to just 'fixing it' with a format) as then I think I stand a good chance of at least recovering something from it...right now I might as well, literally, not have a card at all! Has anyone ever seen this issue and have any sort of work around??

Also, does anyone even know what could have caused this to begin with??

Thanks for your time!

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
How long has your phone been rooted?

I know a lot of people trying to root their phones (EVO particularly) have had problems with the USB drive failing and the SD card not being readable. If you just recently rooted your phone, something happened either during the root process that has affected the SD card reader or the device itself has encountered an issue with the hardware and you might need to send it back for repair or replacement.

If you have to send it in you'll of course have to unroot it, which may prove difficult if you can't access your SD card. I'd head over to the Hacks section for your particular device, then poke around there on that forum.

jtoland2

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted my phone this past Saturday, so it took about 5 days for the SD card to suddenly become unreadable on me.

I feel like it can't be that the USB drive is failing because I can still hook my phone to my PC and it'll charge or ask me if I'd like to run HTC Sync...I just can't mount the SD card as a drive because it can't read from it. It's just "blank or has unsupported filesystem." I put the card into a USB micro SD card reader and plugged that into my PC and, again, my PC just never even saw the card. It would just tell me to "insert a drive" if I tried double-clicking. A friend's Blackberry can see the card and says it's unformatted and asks if I'd like to format it, however, if I click "Yes" her phone ends up giving me an error during the format and just stops.

I really just want to do something to recover the memory and I honestly believe that, somehow or another, this is recoverable...if only I can get a device to recognize the card! Of course also, I'm a little spooked about this whole thing. I've got a new card on the way, but I'm slightly worried there's the chance of this happening again.......This was my first rooting experience and it appeared great at first, but now I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing.

Thanks again.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Well... the card could have just become corrupted, if the other card works then you're good. You might have to cut your losses and be grateful its not worse. Now... you could try to mess around with the card at another time. Maybe launch Windows in safe mode and see if it will read the card, probably won't. Even if you format it all the data will be gone. That's what formatting does. It wipes the card. If it can't format then something is wrong with the card, corrupt data that won't allow the device to format it, or physical damage to the chip.

If the new card gets the same problem, the the phone is doing something to the card. Maybe a process that resulted from root and now when the card mounts the phone does something to it.

You could try launching the adb and seeing if you can mount the card thru the adb. You could also try root explorer to see if you can mount the card as write only rather than read only.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084