Play store - pay with gift card+credit card?

griffin_1

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I have a gift card balance and im lacking 2$ on it to make a purchase. So i thought about adding my credit card to pay for those 2$ (i don't pay bank fees on this), but it seems to only allow me to use one or the other, not a combination of both. Am i missing something here? Is there a way to do this or google doesn't allow it?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If your credit card is added to your Google Wallet, then I would guess it would use up your gift card balance first, then use your credit card via Google Wallet for the rest. Have you tried that, or do you prefer not to use Wallet?

griffin_1

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for replying!
I added the card to my play store account with the play app, since the wallet app doens't work for me(guessing its not working on my country yet), but if i sign in to google wallet online i do see the credit card and gift card there. However, in the paying process if i select the gift card balance it says "insufficient balance" and then it has the option to pick/add the credit card, but not an option of using both. I didn't went through with the process because i wasn't sure if it was possible so i don't know if i pressed next i would get the option of using the gift card balance or not and i would get charged with the full price.
I forgot to mention, this is an in-app purchase (its just some presets for vsco), so i don't know if it works differently or even if i tried to continue the purchasing option if i would be able to return it in case i couldn't use the gift card-credit card combo.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I seem to remember reading that Google currently doesn't offer multi-payment options like this. No idea if they plan to offer it later or not either.

griffin_1

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the link!
I followed it and they had my "question" on the faq and here is the answer:

"Your Google Play balance cannot be combined with other forms of payment when making a purchase. To use your Google Play balance, make sure that your Google Play balance is equal to or exceeds the price of the item you're purchasing."

I guess we can't combine paying methods. Its really unfortunate though and i thought services that offer gift cards let you combine payments, its still lucrative for them and stores like amazon allow it(i know its a different service, but still, its how gift card systems work) and sometimes even a few cents can make a difference when purchasing an app with play balance, so i guess i will save it for somethings.
Anyways, thank you for the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21