Z992 Android phone loses battery/charge while charging. What should I do? Any suggestions?

Faizah Kabir

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
have a AT&T z992 android phone and I noticed that when I charge my phone, it seems to lose charge instead of gaining. For example- I have a 68% battery, so when I charge my phone, the battery goes down to a 50% or something. Please help! Thank you :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What charger are you using? If the phone is drawing more power than it's receiving, it'll actually seem like it's draining. Most phones these days ship with a 1 or 1.5A charger. If you use an 'old' 0.5A charger, then that might be why it's not charging properly.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And some phones just can't charge the battery as fast as they use it, regardless of the size of the charger. (IOW, if the phone is set to charge at 1.2A, connecting it to a 10 Amp charger will still only charge the phone at 1.2A. Your house is a 200 Amp source of power [usually, in the US], but a 100 Watt (approximately 1 Amp) light bulb still only draws 1 Amp.)

If connecting the phone to the original charger (or one rated at 1.5 Amps or more) still causes the battery to drain while charging, either the battery is about at the end of its life or you just have to shut the phone off to get a full charge.

The problem could also be that the phone was designed [early 2011] when apps were smaller (and used less power), and you're using larger apps that use more power. The phone is over 3 years old, and profit isn't the only reason carriers try to get you to get a new phone every 2 years - problems with using an old phone with new apps is part of it.