Help me find a phone for my teenager

kat89447#AC

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I am trying to find a new phone for my teenage daughter. She currently has a Dare and is due for an upgrade. We are on Verizon. She loves her Dad's Droid, but we do not want to spend $200 plus on one of the Droids for her. He offered to give his Droid to her (so he could get a new Droid familiy one lol) but she really wants her own NEW phone. She has pretty much always received our hand me downs. She text msgs, plays music, and loves to play games and read on the Kindle app. She does take lots of pictures, but she doesn't need an 8mgp camera or anything. We have looked at the Ally, Vortex and she likes them but not too excited about them. It has been hard to find good informational reviews on these phones. Any suggestions would be helpful.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi, well if she likes to read the kindle app then I think you should already be looking at a phone with a larger screen... So that would start me off thinking of the Droid X. It's an incredible phone and will handle all your mentioned requirements with ease.

If you don't want to spend too much money, have you considered selling her Dare on craigslist to get whatever you can for it? You could also check there for a new phone... some people have brand new ones they are getting rid of for some reason...

I know you didn't ask, but if you are looking at buying her a smartphone... you'll have to pay more. Find out how much Verizon will be charging you for that plan. I was paying $140/mo for my original droid with the everything plan.

If you would consider moving to a different provider, you might get a better deal especially if you are going to be purchasing a new smartphone.

You'll want a phone with good battery life (for mp3's and games), a larger screen for reading the kindle app, and possibly a bigger screen for the touch keyboard, or a physical keyboard.

A great phone would be the Samsung Epic 4G on sprint, it's more of a multimedia phone than anything, with a physical keyboard. It's on Sprint's network... you can check prices on their site. There's always the EVO, my personal favorite, but that's because I own one. T-Mobile also has the myTouch4G and the new HTC HD(Windows Mobile).

I think now is a good opportunity to consider moving on. Verizon is going to be charging a hefty amount for their 4G service... something like $50 for 5GB I think... just becareful, I don't want you over paying, I left Verizon because they were outrageous with pricing.

If youre going to stay on Verizon, I would consider the Droid X or the Fascinate...

hopefully this link will help, not sure if it will work for you
Set Your Location

Good luck and happy shopping.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm seeing some new 100 buck VZW phones in ads since they're cutting the Allys loose...Samsung maybe? That's where I'd go.

kat89447#AC

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Can't switch carriers because Verizon is the only one we get here with any reliabiltiy. Her Dare is almost 3 yrs old so I doubt anyone wants it and it has some issues that comes with age. We have a family plan so we can add the lower data plan for her and it should be enough since she doesn't use the web much. She just wants to be able to play games, text, download her songs and take pictures with it. She's not a facebooker or a tweeter. She likes the Vortex and she looked at the ally so we may go that way. We just don't want to spend $200 plus on an actual phone because she still is just a teenager and we don't really want her to have a phone that would beg to get stolen at school, or for that matter, damaged. I would love to find a feature phone to fit her needs, but they are getting fewer and seem to lack support. I would like to narrow it down to just a couple to look at so she can choose between them. Hubby is still hoping that he can talk her into his Droid so he can use her upgrade to get a Dinc lol but she's is adament about wanting a new phone that she chooses and not a hand me down. I get her reasoning, but I think she doesn't get that she will probably end up with a lesser phone going new lol

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I think you're pretty much right then. It seems for the money and expectations that the LG phones would be best. Although the Incredible is a bit more and a smaller phone, it's pretty powerful as well. She would get a lot out of it. At this point I don't think you can go wrong, especially since you're adding to a family plan.

Keep in mind that Verizon should allow a 30 day return policy if she doesn't like the new phone. So, if she picks one and doesn't like it, she can return it for her second choice which she may like better.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The LG Vortex ($80) and the Moto Citrus ($50) are two new entry level androids on Verizon. I havn't heard much about them yet but the LG Vortex has been getting good customer reviews. Might be worth checking out.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
from what I've seen the lg vortex is the phone to get. The optimus line has been getting great reviews and I have seen several kids in my youth ministry rock the phones recently and all have said great things about it. Gone are the days where a cheap android means you get terrible and frustrating performance. Its either that or if you aren't stuck on Verizon I did get my younger sister a mytouch slide and she loves it as well.

Sent from my HTC Vision