Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to Switch between bluetooth devices quickly??

I have a Plantronics headset, and a Sony car stereo (w/ BT). When I'm in the car, I prefer to use Bluetooth over the stereo, so I'm looking for a quicker way to swap between the two devices without having to go into settings.

Auto-switching would be preferable, but a widget that can just bring up all device so I can select which one I'd rather use, would work, too.

Thanks.

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

Any luck on this? I've got a Jawbone headset and a car with bluetooth handsfree, and I'd like the phone to switch from the headset to the car when I turn on the car.

As it stands, the only way to get it to switch is to turn off the headset *before* I turn on the car. If I wait until after the car is on, the car won't pair with the phone.

Tasker has no support for this, and I can't find any apps in the marketplace that do it.
    Smarty Pants

ROM
    Stock

Take a look here https://market.android.com/search?q=bluetooth&c=apps

at the top just Sign In with your google account and then you can just push the app to your phone
    Im T rop per and I approve this message
    Thanks for watching = T

Default Re: How to Switch between bluetooth devices quickly??

Quote Originally Posted by tropper View Post
    Take a look here https://market.android.com/search?q=bluetooth&c=apps

at the top just Sign In with your google account and then you can just push the app to your phone
    REALLY? So helpful! Nobody knows how to use the market! WOW. Thanks.

I'm looking for this same function - auto-switch to car bluetooth when in range, auto-switch back to headset when connection to car is lost. Sumpm, krid, did you find an app you'd like to recommend?

I really want this function! This scenario must be extremely common; why haven't developers and manufacturers fixed this?

How does this whole Bluetooth connection cycle work?
    When BT is on in phone, but no device connected, the phone must be scanning/polling/searching the radio waves for paired devices (headsets, car hands free etc).
    When a headset is turned on, it must be sending an ID signal, because the phone instantly connects it.
    The same must be true for the car hands free, when car ignition comes on.

So, it should be possible to scan for other (ie car hands free) available devices, even while one device (ie headset) already is connected.
    The phone could then disconnect from the current device and connect to the newly discovered one, perhaps based on a priority list.

Piece of cake?

Second best solution is to make a habit of switching the headset off after every call...

As it stands, the only way to get it to switch is to turn off the headset *before* I turn on the car. If I wait until after the car is on, the car won't pair with the phone.
    Seems my iPhone allowed me to swap between car and headset - it "saw" both at the same time. (Do I recall it "offering" each device on an incoming call?) Seems so obvious it never occurred to me Android wouldn't do the same.

Sometimes you may want to use the headset even when you are in the car - say - if there are others riding with you who don't want/need to participate in the call...

Unhappy Re: How to Switch between bluetooth devices quickly??

I just switched from an iPhone to an S4 and am looking for the same thing. It was very easy to do on the iPhone while on a call. Would love to know about an app if someone finds one. In addition my phone paired with the car but I cannot use voice dialing just accept incoming calls or manually dial out works. Look like they could make things run a little smoother with bluetooth. I just found this shortcut app to the setting which is some help.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...shortcut&hl=en
    Last edited by Tim Custis; 07-01-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

I would like to switch to a specific bluetooth device when a call comes in. Then switch back to a different device when the call ends. Does anyone know what will do this?

Ive been trying to do that with an app called Lhama, its somewhat similar to tasker but free.

basically:

Condition: Connected to car radio via bluetooth.
    (and)
    Condition: Phone starts ringing.

Action: Disconnect from car radio bluetooth
    (and)
    Action: Connect to my handsfree bluetooth

there doesnt seem to be a way to configure the last action , so what ive done is replace it with:

Action: Run App : BluetoothSettings, which will enable me to choose between bluetooth devices like my previous Iphone whenever i get a call.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,046 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Bump. Anyone have any luck?

Sent from my Note 2 courtesy of Big Red

Global Posts
    4,436 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by IrmaIsfot View Post
    How does this whole Bluetooth connection cycle work?
    When BT is on in phone, but no device connected, the phone must be scanning/polling/searching the radio waves for paired devices (headsets, car hands free etc).
    When a headset is turned on, it must be sending an ID signal, because the phone instantly connects it.
    The same must be true for the car hands free, when car ignition comes on.

So, it should be possible to scan for other (ie car hands free) available devices, even while one device (ie headset) already is connected.
    The phone could then disconnect from the current device and connect to the newly discovered one, perhaps based on a priority list.
    Close, but no cigar.

In order to scan for a device, it has to disconnect from any device it's connected to first. The protocol could be modified to allow active scanning while connected but, since I'm not on the committee, no one's going to take my suggestion, seriously or otherwise.