Kies alternative

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering what apps people recommend as an alternative to Kies.

It has been a while since I used Kies, but my recollection of the program is not a particularly good one. I've been using MyPhoneExplorer with my Note 4 and so far, so good. The program looks a little dated but gets the job done without any fuss, but it would be nice to know what else is available.

A Google search finds a site (run by the company that provides MobileGo), that recommends MyPhoneExplorer, MobileGo, AirDroid and MOBILedit but I was wondering if there was anything else available or if any of those apps are worth trying or avoiding please?

Thanks.

Nick_Note4 :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't "sync" my phone, but I do back everything up. I use App Backup & Restore to back up apps, Helium to back up data and a few apps, SMS Backup & Restore to back up my messages and drag & drop or use WiFi File Transfer to back up everything else. (Contacts and email are on the Google servers.)

About the only thing I use MyPhoneExplorer for these days is the keyboard and screen when I prefer working on my old "click-clack" keyboard (it's a Unicomp with buckling spring keys, like the old IBM keyboards) or copying something to paste into a Windows program - and changing contact types. It's the only app I've found that can be used to "convert" a device contact to an account contact. (Copy the contact, paste it and you can change the type of the pasted one, then delete the original.)

For updating, if I do it manually, I use Odin.

I can't think of a single use for Kies.

rdroyer

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Rukbat, I've used App Backup & Restore before but not the other 2.

Odin is actually very easy to use. I rooted my Note 3 then back again before I cracked the screen and got my Note 4. Not sure if I'm going to root this one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie