Can all phones open pdf by default?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Can all smartphones (android phones, iphone, windows phone) open pdf by default.

My Samsung S4 can open pdf since day 1 I got the phone. I am just wondering if all phones could open pdf by default when you first got it(without installing any extra app) too.

I am thinking about this before I send a pdf to another person.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, you need an app that can open pdf files. Some phones come with one, some don't. (Phones [and computers] don't open files, apps do.)

If possible, send an email (if it's short enough). All phones, even feature phones, can read emails. (But that's plain text - no formatting like bold or italic, no colors, no pictures. Some phones can handle those, some can't.)

If it has to be a pdf file, your best bet if you don't know that the person can open it is to post it somewhere like a public folder on Dropbox or Google Drive, then send the person a link to it. Most web browsers can read pdf files.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Without installing any app (first day that you got the phone), can all phones open png/jpg files? I think all phones have a some sort of "viewer/gallery" default app pre installed correct?

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but if it's anything like my Android tablet, then he has to download the PDF file first, then open it with the appropriate app. Can't open it up in a browser or email program on any Android device that I know of.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And I can't check without freezing all my apps that can read pdfs, but you may be right about no browser reading them natively.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol