Battery Drain: Why does "Google Services" check my precise location every time I unlock my phone?

forthewin11

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Battery Drain: Why does "Google Services" check my precise location every time I unlock my phone?

Hello,

I own a Nexus 4 running Android 5.0 (rooted). In the past week, I have noticed that Google Services is draining my battery pretty quickly because it keeps checking my precise location (using the GPS). Only today have I realized that this position-checking happens only when I unlock my phone, leading me to think this has to do with the Smart Lock trusted places feature.
However, trusted places is turned off (trusted face is on though), so I don't understand why Google Services checks my location every time I unlock my phone. I've had lollipop for almost a month, but I have not had this GPS problem until just a week ago... my phone's GPS would almost never turn on, and Google Services definately did not check my GPS every time I try to unlock my phone. I don't think i've changed any Google Settings either.
Any way to change this (without having to put my location settings in battery saving mode)?

Thanks in advance!

Blodhgard

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Battery Drain: Why does "Google Services" check my precise location every time I unlock my phone

Try to deactivate the location reporting.
Settings -> Location -> Google Location Reporting and deactivate the location reporting.

forthewin11

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Battery Drain: Why does "Google Services" check my precise location every time I unlock my phone

Nope that did not work... phone still checks location everytime I unlock :(

forthewin11

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

Problem still occurring... I have just turned off GPS on my phone

HoLfElDeR

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

Settings-Security-Trust Agents and Toggle Off SmartLock (google). That's if you don't plan to use trusted places and it should get rid of the location on unlock.
Try this

forthewin11

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

Settings-Security-Trust Agents and Toggle Off SmartLock (google). That's if you don't plan to use trusted places and it should get rid of the location on unlock.
Try this

Thank you! This works perfectly, and I can now keep my GPS setting on without the battery draining every time I turn on my phone :)

LarsErikOsterud

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

But if you turn off "Smart Lock" then you also loose the ability to skip lock-screen for Bluetooth connections :-(
I use "Smart Lock" to disable the fingerprint check when connected to my handsfree in my car.
I have no GPS positions registered with "Smart Lock" so why should it check my position then.
This is at the best a completly terrible written code :-(

forthewin11

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

But if you turn off "Smart Lock" then you also loose the ability to skip lock-screen for Bluetooth connections :-(
I use "Smart Lock" to disable the fingerprint check when connected to my handsfree in my car.
I have no GPS positions registered with "Smart Lock" so why should it check my position then.
This is at the best a completly terrible written code :-(

Completely agree... Don't have any GPS positions, but it still checks my location. It sucks because I cannot use trusted face with it disabled.
Oh well, nothing much we could do I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs