What is a good first Android phone?

urbanmusher

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Good first Android

I'm finally ready to get my first smartphone and I do NOT want an iPhone!!! I really want a "basic" smartphone, don't need a lot of bells and whistles. What would be a good, easy to navigate, first Android? I also don't want something that is big in physical size. I was thinking of the Moto X but am open to all suggestions.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Good first Android

At this point, any flagship phone is going to give you great performance and (presuming you buy subsidized in the us) cost more or less the same. You'd be best served going to a store and playing around with a bunch of handsets, see which one feels best in your hand.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! So is size the only criterion? The more preferences you give, the better recommendations you'll get. It's also important to say which carrier you have or intend to have, because not all phones work on all carriers.

For not-so-huge phones, consider the 2013 Moto X (which can be found for pretty cheap off-contract these days), the Moto G (a great value), the Nexus 5, and the Compact versions of the Xperia Z line of phones.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

second vote for the Moto G - My Dad has it and it's a great wee phone, good size, not pushing the 5inch mark either.

urbanmusher

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site

Sorry, thought I said I was on Verizon. Size isn't the only criterion, I just don't want a 'phablet'. Really just want something "pure" and not so overloaded like I hear some of the Samsung Galaxies seem to be.