Is it possible to store contacts ONLY on my MotoX and not in the cloud?

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
My HTC One M8 allows me to have google contacts as well as a local address book on the phone that never gets sent back to google. I have about 1500 contacts with detailed info that I do not want to go back to google.

I just got a new 2014 Moto X which immediately upgraded itself to Lollipop and when I go into the contacts app, it wants to load anything imported back UP to google. There doesn't seem to be any local address book. I don't know if this is just a Moto X problem or a general lollipop one? My HTC One M8 does not have lollipop.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
At the top of the form, when you're entering a new contact, there should be a dropdown. It should have Google or Account for the cloud, Device or Phone for local and SIM if you want to store contacts on the SIM.

If you already have contacts that are Google contacts and want to change them to Device contacts (you can't do that on the phone, thanks to Google's Great Wall of Wisdom), you can use MyPhoneExplorer. Sync the contacts. For each contact you want to change, copy the contact (Ctrl-C), paste it (Ctrl-V), then change the type of contact in the one you pasted. You can change the type in the copy, you can't in the original. Then delete the original. When you're all done, sync again.

Remember, though - if you don't store your contacts in the cloud, and something happens to the phone, you're going to be doing a lot of typing to put all those contacts back into the new phone. The best way to do it is to keep all your contacts in the Google cloud. (You can access and change them from any web browser too, if you do that - they're at Google Contacts.)