Partitioned my SD Card. Now what?

Ameer Aftab

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I am rather new to Android platform, got HTC Desire about a month ago (unbranded, FroYo, rooted the stock ROM using unrEVOked 3.21). Since then, I've learned a lot of tips, tricks and tweaks Android offers and I am quite happy with it.

This thread is about a tweak that I am trying to get working. I have a lot of apps on my phone (100+), and even with Apps2SD's help I am still running out of internal memory all the time. Right now I have 15.90MB free on my internal memory, really on the edge.

I had read somewhere that one can make an ext partition on the microSD card and move the apps completely to SD card, since Apps2SD only moves part of app to sd card, and some of it still sits in the phone memory.

Now I have made a partition on my SD card using ROM Manager (ClockworkMod). But I dont know what to do next, as the new couple of apps I installed still took up space on the phone.

So the question is, how can I configure my phone to use that new partition for apps, and leave the internal storage alone? Please advise. Thanks!

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
What was the original source of the information? The reason I ask is because that specific source might have the information you're looking for. I haven't heard of such a idea, but in theory it would work. The thing i'm thinking tho, is that most apps have it written within their code where to save to and whether you can move it to the SD card. I would think you'd need some serious programming because, and I'm no expert but this is what I think, you would have to go into the OS and tell it to write everything to that partitioned part of the SD card. To my knowledge you partition when you want to run multiple operating systems. Anyway, I did some looking and found this article... it may or may not help, I'll keep looking though because this actually has my attention now. :)

How to manually partition your SD card for Android Apps2SD – Android and Me

Reactions: Ameer Aftab

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
and i advise against moving any launcher applications you have to the SD card... like Launcher Pro and ADW... if you do, and you mount the card to your computer and try to work your phone, it might FC or crash. Just a heads up

Reactions: sketch42

Ameer Aftab

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
@truslide: Yes, I understand that. All the widgety apps and important processes should stay on the phone. But apps like Google Earth, Pulse, Dolphin browser, Factbook, Sky Map etc, the non-essential apps basically, can be safely moved to SD.

@Others: Well my source is not really important at the moment as I didn't really follow anyone's instructions. Actually I was trying to install the Gingerbread keyboard to my phone, and installed ROM Manager/ClockworkMod app for it to flash the ROM. In it, I saw an option to partition my SD card, and I did that. Now the partition is done, but I dont know how to access it, configure my phone to start saving apps to THAT partition, and more importantly, how to move my CURRENT apps to that partition.