Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I transfer to new SD card?

I just upgraded to a new 16GB SD card. I tried copy and pasting everything from my 8GB card to my latop, then from my laptop to the new SD card in my phone. Everything seems to work fine except for all of the apps on my phone which had previously been moved using the app 2 SD app. I do not want to redownload all of those apps. Anyone know a solution? Am i not supposed to just copy and paste all of the files to the new SD card? any help would be appreciated.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

There's probably some copy protection on apps. You can move them back to your phone memory if you have the room. Otherwise you have to re-download them. Everything else should copy fine.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Dam that sucks...thanks for the help

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

I'm having the same exact problem... but i don't see a way to move the apps back to phone storage. The 'move' button is greyed out in Settings>Apps>Manage Apps.

Is there any other way to move the data from the SD card to the phone?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by fullyflaredfred View Post
    I just upgraded to a new 16GB SD card. I tried copy and pasting everything from my 8GB card to my latop, then from my laptop to the new SD card in my phone. Everything seems to work fine except for all of the apps on my phone which had previously been moved using the app 2 SD app. I do not want to redownload all of those apps. Anyone know a solution? Am i not supposed to just copy and paste all of the files to the new SD card? any help would be appreciated.
    Did you format the card in the phone before moving all the files over?

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Did you format the card in the phone before moving all the files over?
    I know that i did not... and i should have known better. Although, it seems to be ok now that i've re-downloaded the apps that were broken. They also seemed to have retained their data, so i didn't loose my Angry Birds progress.

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.2.1; CM7.2(nook)

Quote Originally Posted by Zak8022 View Post
    I'm having the same exact problem... but i don't see a way to move the apps back to phone storage. The 'move' button is greyed out in Settings>Apps>Manage Apps.

Is there any other way to move the data from the SD card to the phone?
    Not sure if you are rooted or not but Titanium Backup has a feature to move all apps as part of a batch either to or from the SD card. Last night I did this when I upgraded to my new microSD card ($56 32gb Black Friday score!). Moved em all back over to SD after the new card was inserted.

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pre-dawn raid View Post
    Not sure if you are rooted or not but Titanium Backup has a feature to move all apps as part of a batch either to or from the SD card. Last night I did this when I upgraded to my new microSD card ($56 32gb Black Friday score!). Moved em all back over to SD after the new card was inserted.
    I'm not rooted, but its good to know thats a feature of rooting. I think i'm good now, and i hope the OP figures his things out as well.
    vor

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bigxie

FYI I was able to copy my 16GB card to a new 32GB without issue using winimage. I only have 6 apps on the card to begin with but they all work. None of those is a paid for app though.
    Moto X Stock on Tmo
    Xoom [ROM] Omnirom 4.4.2

Razr HD Maxx Galaxy Nexus GSM Droid X

ROM
    kaosFroyo v39

Lightbulb Easy method to transfer to new SD with Linux

I'm running Linux Mint 9 (Ubuntu 10) on my Asus laptop, and after trying a few methods I found Googling with no success, I found my solution. I had a 4GB micro SD in my HTC Eris, and I picked up a 16GB at Fry's for $27. What worked for me was using the command line app dd. I simply used my built in card reader to accomplish the transfer. First, I made an image file of the partition (not the root of the drive):

dd if=/dev/sdc1 of=/media/storage/oldSD.img

Took a little while to make the 4GB image. Then, I took out the old card and put it in a safe place, and inserted the new card. Next, I formatted the new card as FAT32 (what the old one was), and then simply used dd to write that image to the new SD card's partition:

dd if=/media/storage/oldSD.img of=/dev/sdc1

What I had at that point was a card that then looked exactly like a 4GB card but didn't recognize the other 12 gigs of space. So, I just opened up the Red Hat Disk Utility App that comes with Mint and selected the SD card partition and clicked "Analyze and Repair". This allowed the rest of the empty space to be recognized, and voila! New card works with 12 more gigs of free space.

question... is there a way i can transfer cards while using a mac?