Is there a texting app to replace my native messaging app?

vkdelung

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I am looking for a texting app to replace my native messaging app.

What I need is an app that will show my cell number when I text my friends. It must work over the mobile network, and over wifi when there's no mobile network available. I have tried many apps from Google play, and none have done all of this. Does such an app exist?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: I am looking for a texting app to replace my native messaging app.

Texting is, by the way it works, mobile. You can't text over wifi. (There are apps that let you exchange text messages over any internet connection, phone or wifi, but texting - SMS - is strictly a mobile function. It travels the same path as voice, it's just generated by a different app and received by a different app.)

If you don't like Messaging, there's GO SMS Pro, Textra SMS and a host of others. Go to the Play Store, search for text app and try a few free ones to see which ones you like. (You can even text with Hangouts, but I can't stand the app. You may like it.) After a few years, I still haven't decided which texting app I prefer, so don't get discouraged. And if you hear about a new free one, install it and try it. (That's one nice thing about Android. If you were using an iPhone you'd be using iMessage, whether you liked it or hated it.)

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

What do you mean by "show my cell number"? That data is part of the SMS transmission, how it shows at the receiver's end depends on THEIR setup.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

What do you mean by "show my cell number"? That data is part of the SMS transmission, how it shows at the receiver's end depends on THEIR setup.

This exactly. There's nothing you as sender can do to force it to show as your number. Well, outside of texting them from a number not already in their contacts list, which they can then add to your contact info too.

Andrea Ohlmeier

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I understand exactly what you are saying and I am looking for the same thing. I am using GrooVeIP + RingTo and have and Android 2.2.. The RingTo app (that has the SMS feature) is for 2.3 and higher. There is no way to integrate my RingTo number to my native messaging app, like it did with my native caller. I am looking for a messaging app, that will somehow let me input my number manually, so said app sends as that number, like Hangouts now does. If you find any let me know, I will be following this thread.. Maybe I should try to create an app, beings how one clearly doesn't exist, and there is a need, for now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol