Can anyone help me with buying a new phone?

T Busby

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello Android lovers!

At the moment I'm using a 1 and a ½ year old Galaxy S3 Mini. I like this phone but the
performance and screen size do not make it ideal for me. So I am looking to buy a new Android smartphone!

Requirements:
- Around 5 inch screen
- Battery life to last the whole day
- Good performance in day to day usage; web browsing, social networking and light to moderate gaming.
- Decent camera quality to take pictures once in a while.

Some phones that I already consider are the LG G3, Sony Xperia Z2, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and the Huawei Ascend P7

Any suggestions meeting my needs or similar will be considered.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Moto X, Droid Turbo? I know the camera gets a lot of knocks but when using it in decent light it takes decent pictures. For occasional use, it should be fine, as long as you don't have the expectation that it'll rival the image quality of an ACTUAL camera.

I guess something else you need to tell us is what carrier you're on, as in the US that makes a difference. For example, the Droid Turbo is ONLY available on Verizon, if you have any other carrier and don't want to switch, the Turbo wouldn't be a good suggestion.

T Busby

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Moto X 2014 is quite pricey here in New Zealand, and also the Droid Turbo is not available. Looks like a great phone though.

I'm wondering what you think about the phones I have suggested. They are some of the ones that are available to me and fit my needs.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any personal experience with any of those devices. I seem to recall the G3 getting decent reviews and there might have been some odd quirks with the Sony phones. I suggest you browse the forums for the devices you're considering, read all the posts you can and look for reviews of them.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Sony phones are built like a tank. Great phones. I would throw in Z3 (non Compact if you could, killer device)
Wife has G3, battery life kind of sucks compared to my Note 4. Screen scratches very easy on G3. Other than that, its a good phone too.
I have owned many many phones. I am no samsung fan, but I have to say the Note 4 is the best phone I have ever owned.
Its awesome at everything, it just is slightly bigger than your 5" requirement.

Maybe samsung alpha? 4.7" ( I'd rather have either one of the Sony phones vs alpha)

T Busby

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I am not that interested in the Samsung devices, although the Alpha is quite promising. The Note line-up is stretching the limits for being quite large. But the Note 4 looks like a monster in terms of specs.

I might end up buying the G3 and get a 3200mAh power bank to keep it going when running low on power.

Thanks again

Last edited:

akivas

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
This is the cheapest I found for just 350:-$:(I am new here and can't add links so just replace the $$$$$$ with .
shareasale$$$$$$$com/r.cfm?u=1047204&b=416079&m=43643&afftrack=&urllink=www%2Epandawill%2Ecom%2Fhuawei%2Dascend%2Dp7%2Dsmartphone%2D4g%2Dlte%2Dhisilicon%2D18ghz%2D50%2Dinch%2Dlcd%2Dfhd%2Dscreen%2Dwhite%2Dp93194%2Ehtml

T Busby

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I now have had my LG G3 for about a week now. So far so good, battery life is questionable at times but other than that, great phone!

Posted via the Android Central App

Deshiandroid

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I think Samsung Galaxy S5 will be the best option for you. I am using it for last 3 months and I am happy with its performance.
Display 5.1 inches (~69.6% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution 1080 x 1920 pixels (~432 ppi pixel density)
Multitouch Yes
Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 3
memory - 16/32 GB
Camera- 16 MP