2 TB Hard disk will be support on android ?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello Guys,

I just think that my 2 TB Hard disk will be support via OTG Cable. ?

Thanks
Aarav

Hello. Welcome to Android Central. Usually it doesn't work because the drive needs to be powered. If your OTG Cable as well as your device can transfer power at the same time transfer data, you should be okay.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
IOW, a 3-port OTG cable, so you can send 5 volts to the drive - or an external drive that's self-powered (plugs into the power line). What matters is the formatting of the drive (NTFS might cause you a problem, and you can't have files larger than 4GB on a FAT32 drive).

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
2TB mechanical hard drives also need 12volts and you aren't going to get that with out a external power source.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Is that for 3.5 inch drives? Or 2.5 inch drives?

Sent from my splendid Note 4.
2.5 inch only needs 5 volts, thing is where are you going to get 5 volts from your phone and don't say the usb port because your battery isn't 5 volts in your phone. Only way to do it is by way of SSD's but guess what. A 1tb SSD cost more than most phones and you would need a adapter of some sort because they don't have USB ports on them. I'm a BYOPC person, I put my own systems together.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You use a 3 port OTG cable if the drive is USB-powered and plug a USB power supply (like a phone charger) into the 3rd port to power the drive (or use the power supply you normally use with the drive). If the drive is naked, you need a full drive power supply, but if it's an external drive, or a naked drive in a USB box, it either comes with a power supply or is powered by USB.

Phoenix2000

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Actually I have been interested in this for some time and I just tested it out. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 and a Seagate 2TB Slim. When watching video from my internal 128GB SD, I lose about 1% power ever 10 minutes, mostly to the screen I assume. I formatted the Seagate as exFAT and loaded some videos, then connected to the Samsung via OTG. Mounted no problem. Playing video from the Seagate external hard drive drops the battery about 1% per 5 minutes. Now that may sound like a lot, but that means with a full charge you could get about 8 hours without a re-recharge or external power. I could preplan what I want to watch on a long trip and place it on my 128GB SD, or I could take my entire 24TB collection of movies and TV series with me on the 12 Seagate 2tb Slims I use to backup my media server, which are relatively small and light, and not be restricted.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1